Chapter 21

I felt the bed weigh down on Christian's side. The left side. 

He was getting undressed from his work clothes that he's been wearing for basically 24 hours. It feels like it's one in the morning. Even though I'm more than pissed off with him, I still can't sleep without him in the bed. 

Fuck you, feelings. 

I inhale slowly to make it seem like I'm fast asleep and I don't acknowledge his presence. I swallow hard, my throat dry, as I watch the rain drip onto the large window. The raindrop shadows reflected onto my tear-stained face. I've been crying non-stop for the past two hours. I let out a small gasp of air which gives me away. 

Fuck you, again. 

"Anastasia?" He asks, voice quiet. I squeeze my eyes shut and bite my lip, refusing to reply. "Ana, I know you're awake. I've lived with you for the past six months now." I want to turn around on my side, touch his face, kiss him, and tell him I love him. 

"Why would you say all those things to me, knowing it would hurt me?" I whisper, voice breaking at the last word. 

"I'm... I'm sorry. I've never had to deal with this before. I'm not good at this whole 'love' thing." He mutters. I watch him from the corner of my eye. He's crouched over, hands running through his curly and messy hair. "Just listen to me, okay? I didn't mean anything I said to you. Work has been stressing me out and I don't mean to take it out on you." Christian sighs. I feel guilty for ignoring him so I roll onto my back. "Ana, I really am sorry." 

"Me too." I whisper. His head moves slightly to look at me. "I'm sorry. But that doesn't mean I'm not upset with you." Turn onto my left side to look at him. There he sat, his back muscles tense and toned, the light from outside illuminating all his features. His jaw clenched and unclenched, his hair laced through the gaps of his fingers in distress. He was sat in his grey sweatpants. I bite my lip, feeling more guilty as the seconds pass. "Christian, come here." I sit up and pat the space beside me. I've never seen him so vulnerable and submissive. He's never been one to be weak. I pull the covers off slightly so he can get into bed comfortably. I smile slightly with my tired eyes as I watch each movement he does. He climbs in and pulls the cover over us and then pulls me close to his bare chest. "I know how hard work must be for you and I didn't mean anything that came out of my mouth." I whisper, lightly kissing his collarbone, avoiding his chest. 

"I know, Ana. I know" He sighs. 

The next morning, I woke up early to make him breakfast. He slept peacefully beside me. He even had a few tear stains down his cheek. Christian must of cried when I didn't notice. Kissing his cheek lightly, I get out of bed and pull my dressing gown on over my pajamas. I open the door quietly and close it so I don't disturb him. It's cold downstairs as it's the end of December. Biting my lip from the cold, I waddle over to the kitchen with my hands buried in my pockets. I open the fridge and look at what's inside. Sunny side up it is. 

Grabbing two eggs from the fridge, I shut it and grab bread and some spices. Placing it on the table, I then turn on the radio to some quiet morning songs. I crack the eggs on the side of the counter and spill them into the pan, listening to them sizzle. 

"Morning." I smile at Christian as he drags his feet downstairs, rubbing his eyes. 

"What are you up to?" He asks, hugging me from behind. 

"I'm making sunny side up for you." I say. Just in time, the toast pops up. "Your toast is ready." I smile, grabbing it from the toaster and placing it on a plate for me to butter. "Would you mind handing me the butter please?" 

"Sure." Christian takes the butter out of the fridge and I smile at him. 

"Thank you." I say, stroking his wrist as I pick up the tub. I sprinkle some spices onto the eggs slide the plate across the island. "Breakfast is served." I wink. He grins and sits in his usual space. 

"Thank you for breakfast." Christian kisses me lightly in front of the elevator. 

"Not a problem." I smile. He presses the button and gives me one more passionate kiss. 

"I'll try to be back home as soon as I can." 

"Don't rush. Work is obviously important for you. Anyways, I have to bring some boxes over here." 

"Okay, well don't hurt yourself. Call me if you need me, don't burn the house down, and remember I love you." 

"Yeah, yeah, you too. Now go." I chuckle.