2 | The Secret

Michael's POV

Semaj was on the other side of the bed knocked out. I had pretended to go to sleep earlier just so she would and wouldn't keep talkin to me. Ever since the shootin she was just scared to go to sleep. While she was in the hospital she would wake up sweatin and scared outta her mind. I thought it was just trauma from her gettin shot. I thought she was gon make it through the night without wakin up but I spoke too soon because the minute I looked back over she was shootin up outta her sleep. In a split second she was up under me her tears soakin my night tee. I kissed her forehead and tried to calm her down before she started hyperventilating and shit.

"Yo Semaj, it's okay..." she dug her head deeper into my shoulder.

I sighed as I heard her start to calm down. It was like going to sleep for her triggered what happened. She always dreamed about the shootin except in her dream she would end up dying. I thought that maybe she could get some help and that would fix the little problem but she refused to and I ain't wanna make her do anything she ain't wanna do. I just wanted her to get better and back to being the Semaj she was before the shooting. I mean she was still the same Semaj, but a lil less outgoing. She ain't run her mouth as often as she used to, she stayed up under me, and secluded herself from everybody except her family, Lina, parts of my family, and me. I ain't mind it, but it wasn't like her.

"You a'ight?"

She lifted her head and I guess she nodded but it was pitch black so I couldn't see shit.

"You need somethin?"

"I'm just going to go get some water," she whispered and started movin the covers.

"Here I got it," I jumped outta the bed and started for the door but she stopped me.

"Michael, I can get it," she replied and I flipped on the light. She smiled at me and got down from her bed. "You can come with me though."

I nodded and followed her downstairs and in the kitchen.

"Who drinks faucet water?" I teased when she got a glass and started to fill it.

"I do," she laughed and damn near swallowed the water in one gulp. "I think I'm going to stay down here and watch a movie. I don't really feel like going back to sleep."

"Semaj maybe you needa get some psychological help..." She shook her head no.

"I'm fine. I'm just awake now," she put her dirty glass in the sink. "You can go back up in my room if you want."

"What movie you wanna watch?" I asked and followed her into the livin room. If she was up, then I was up. "Nightmare before Christmas?"

She laughed and shook her head, before she turned on the TV and then Netflix. After ten minutes she decided on some dumb ass movie that I knew was gon be boring. I think she wanted to put both of us asleep. I was right to cause we wasn't even in twenty minutes of the movie before she was knocked out again beside me. Ain't feel like going back to sleep my ass... I chuckled as I looked over at her. I thought about turnin off the TV and takin her back upstairs but then that was gon probably wake her up so I just turned it down and lied down on the floor. The borin ass movie knocked my ass right out anyway.

Semaj POV

When I woke up I was back in my room and underneath the covers. Even though I had slept passed eleven, I still felt restless. As if I had stayed up all night and had only been able to sleep for an hour or two. I started to think that Michael was probably right; maybe I should've tried to see a psychologist. I just didn't want to make it seem as if something else was wrong with me. It's bad enough that everyone thought I was handicap and needed to be catered to all the time... I didn't need something else to make them look at me as if I was this fragile item that needed to be constantly taken care of. It made me feel like some sort of charity case and I didn't appreciate it.