18 | When In Doubt, Think It Out

Semaj's POV

Nervous wasn't the correct word to describe how I was feeling as we drove to Benny's. I had Shawn set his GPS because I wasn't exactly sure how to get to Benny's from our side of town, though as we got closer I realized I was familiar with the direction it was taking us. I didn't have him turn it off though because I was afraid if I talked then he would hear the shakiness in my voice. Deep down I knew that I didn't have anything to fear, but a little part of me-the smart part-was telling me to tread lightly. I knew Michael like the back of my hand and he was anything but subtle unless he wanted to be, which by the way wasn't very often. Of course, with it being late on a Saturday night people gravitated to the streets of New Orleans where Benny's restaurant was.

"We should've came to this side first," Shawn spoke for the first time as he took a right turn onto the street. "This seems like more of the hangout spot."

Which was true. This was where a lot of teenagers and young adults hung out at. You had a few restaurants, an ice cream parlor, dollar store, and some other little shops along both sides of the street. I only really came on this side when I was coming to Benny's, but now that Shawn had pointed it out the strip did look pretty lively. Luckily nothing bad-like fights or gunshots-had happened yet.

To my surprise I was able to keep my voice steady when I replied. "Yeah this is sort of the hangout spot."

Now, after finding my voice, I helped Shawn get a parking space across the street in the parking lot of a closed pharmacy. Hopefully we would be in and out and Michael would make it quick. Shawn was talking about something that was falling on my deaf ears because I was too busy looking around trying to see if I could find Michael as we walked along the street to the front door of the restaurant. Benny's like always was pretty crowded especially since it was a Saturday night. Which made me a little less tense because Michael wasn't going to cause a scene in front of a lot of people.

At least I didn't think he would. I swallowed hard and Shawn's shoulder brushed mine after we walked inside, and I stepped into the line.

"Are you okay? You seem a little..."

Stressed? Off? Nervous?

"...different."

I swallowed slowly hoping that once my mouth was clear my nerves would disappear. Wrong.

"I'm just getting a little tired that's all," it wasn't completely the truth, but it walked the line, so I was okay.

I felt this feeling of impending doom... okay, maybe I was being a little overdramatic, but I was scared. The last thing I needed was for Michael to try and have some sort of dominance fight with Shawn. I hadn't known him for that long and didn't know what type of guy he was. He seemed chill and non-confrontational, but all that could change if Michael rubbed him the wrong way by saying something slick or gave him one of those looks with his eyes. I sighed and stopped trying to think about it. It was better that way.

We moved up in the line and finally-after seeming like forever-Shawn replied. I think the short haired black girl in front of us had caught his attention. She had a short cut that would do justice to Halle Berry, a thin midsection, but wide waist. His eyes were centered on the pear shape of her rear-end-in the acid washed, high-waist jeans that curved around her mocha skin-before he turned his attention to me. I could see his cheeks redden underneath his brown skin and I giggled at his embarrassment. I'd never seen a guy get so flushed before. It was cute though his eyes were practically glued to her butt and nothing else. Nonetheless the exchange eased my nerves and I took a deep breath before slowly exhaling.

"If you're tired we can leave...?" He suggested and as much as I wanted to say yes I shake my head.

"I need my ice cream. If I don't get it I'm a very unhappy girl."