4 | The Green-Eyed Monster

Semaj's POV

On Monday I was sitting in the theatre watching everyone rehearse for Sparkle as I attempted my math homework for the night. I wouldn't have been here if it wasn't for Lina begging me to come and support her. I was going to support her when they performed three weeks from now on opening night, but she specifically wanted me here today. I honestly think she just wanted me here so I could see with my own eyes how she believed Kearston was always flirting with Tucker. Since I had sat there I didn't think that Kearston was flirting with him outside of her role as Sparkle. I started to believe that Lina was just paranoid and afraid of Tucker cheating on her. I took my eyes off of the stage when my phone vibrated against the items in my purse. I dug through the black bag and finally grabbed it, but I had already missed Michael's call. I unlocked my phone to call him back, but he had already sent me a message asking me where I was. I got up out of the seat and put my books on the ground before I quickly walked up the aisle and into the hallway all while calling him back.

"Where you at?" Is the first words that came out of his mouth when he picked up.

"Hey Mike, I'm good, how was your day?" I playfully rolled my eyes and leaned up against the wall as his sweet chuckle came from the other end of the line.

"My bad, what's up? You good?" His music played through the radio and then I heard the blaring of his car horn, "learn how to fuckin' drive man!"

"I'm fine Michael and what did I tell you about road rage? Be careful because someone can get seriously hurt, even you." I reminded him and I could just imagine the smirk on his face.

He kissed his teeth and I hear the blinker on his car ticking. "Ain't nobody gon get in no accident, a'ight?"

"You just think you're so invincible don't you?" I asked and his turning blinker stopped. "Where are you going?"

"Turnin' in my driveway. I ain't heard from you inna couple hours so I thought to call you."

"You were the one who didn't text me back." By now I found myself walking up and down the hallway, looking through the trophy case and running my hand against the glass as I walked passed. I didn't understand why I always had to move around or do weird stuff when I was on the phone. It got worse when I was on the phone with Michael.

"I did, whatchu talkin' about?"

"Oh really?" I stopped walking, "check your messages."

"A'ight hold on," he replied back and it's quiet for a few seconds and then I heard him laughing. "My bad."

"Yeah your bad," I mocked him as a wide smile spread across my face.

"You comin over tonight? I ain't seen you since Saturday." I heard shuffling and movement in the background and then the rattle of keys.

I knew what his 'coming over' meant.

"Uh, I don't know," I leaned against the glass trophy case. "Is LaToya going to be there?"

A little before I was released from the hospital LaToya and Katherine had a disagreement, what about I wasn't too sure because Michael didn't go into detail, but it was bad enough for LaToya to want to pack up her things and leave. Of course she didn't have anywhere to go so Michael was her best bet in order for her to have an immediate place to say. He said no, but I was able to convince him to change his mind. LaToya was his sister and although he enjoyed his space and being by himself sometimes he had more than enough room to let her move in. In the end it helped him too because he was now able to split the rent with someone, but it caused a little tension between the two of them.

"She supposed to be leaving tonight" he said and I heard the beeping of the alarm in the background followed by Michael's angry yell, "Toya!"

Uh oh.