22 | Jumping to Conclusions

It wasn't until it got completely dark and one of the front desk employees of the hotel stopped to check on her that Semaj called her mom to come and pick her up. And the last thing she wanted to do was explain what happened, but she knew she would have to, but she just didn't want it to be right at that moment. What had happened was still raw and Semaj was still trying to wrap her head around it.

"Is everyth-" Semaj stopped her before she could even finish the question, and she didn't mean for it to, but her voice cracked as she spoke. "Mom I really don't want to talk about it."

Janelle didn't push the issue. Instead they drove home in silence, Semaj going straight up to her room, shutting the door and locking it behind her. She didn't have the time nor the patience to deal with Skylar and Deon's pestering and right now she just really wanted to be left alone. She tried to not be crybaby about the situation but couldn't help the tears that dared to escape her eyes. Soon they were falling, and she was covering her entire body with the covers.

It wasn't until she heard someone yelling and banging on her bedroom door that she realized she had literally cried herself to sleep. Her father called her name a couple of more times followed by banging on the door. She got up from the bed and went to unlock it seeing her father, mother, and her two cousins standing behind them. Janelle was the first to notice the tears and her hard face turned into sympathy.

"Semaj, what's wrong?"

Moving her face from her mother's grasp Semaj whispered, "nothing. Sorry I locked the door."

She turned to walk back over to her bed, but this time Janelle wouldn't leave it alone.

"Semaj you've had this attitude since I picked you up a couple hours ago from the hotel. Something obviously happened to have you this upset and what were you doing at the hotel in the first place?"

She wanted to scream to be left alone as she crawled back into bed. "I'm fine. Nothing happened."

Something did happen, but she just wasn't sure what. The only thing that was clear was Michael assumed she and Shawn slept together and he was angry. He didn't mind that she missed his presentation until he realized that she was with Shawn when she missed it. That made him fly off the handle and assume the worse and Semaj knew that. Was she hurt that he didn't believe her? Of course, but she'd rather he let her explain before telling her to get out of his face.

"Somethinghappened."

What was she supposed to say? She didn't know if Michael broke up with her or if he was just angry and needed time, but either way it still hurt. And she was upset. Upset, hurting, and angry.

Upset that he walked away and didn't let her explain.

Hurt that he didn't care nor try to even believe her when she said nothing happened. When all she's done was believe him no matter what.

And angry. Angry that she allowed herself to go to sleep at Shawn's house, angry that Michael just walked away, angry at Shawn, and angry at her father for even bringing Shawn into her life.

But all of that would go away if Michael would just talkto her.

"I'm fine," Semaj mumbled. "Just tired."

"She left with Shawn earlier," Deon snitched, somewhat having the best intentions for her little cousin. "Maybe he did something to make her upset."

"Shawn?" James said in disbelief, "no. He's a good kid. Michael is probably the problem."

Semaj looked at him, feeling rage fuel the fire inside of her. "This is all your fault."

The tension in the room swelled quickly. "You're the reason any of this happened today."