8B | A Shake In Relationships

Semaj's POV

After putting as much money into the meter as it would allow, we took Michael's car because he was too scared to have me behind the will. Of course, I argued that I was more than capable of driving, but we didn't really have to time to debate on who got to drive. Instead I gave in like I always did and Michael ended up being the driver although he shouldn't have been driving either because he was more than mad. I had seen him grip the steering wheel more than a couple times since we had been in the car and I could tell he was disappointed in Janet. Shoot, I was disappointed in Simone, but I wanted to hear her out first before I got mad. I didn't want to make her feel worse about her decision to skip school or her decision to shoplift because my parents would do that all on their own. I needed to be an older sister and hear her out... and be disappointed at the same time.

"You can't get mad at her," I finally spoke after sitting in comfortable silence for ten minutes. The mall they were at was forty-five minutes away, so I had more than enough time to cool Michael down. He scoffed but said nothing. "Think of all the stuff you did at thirteen... that'd be like the pot calling the kettle black."

Michael licked his lips as he sped down the fast lane of the highway. "Janet knows better."

"And so did you."

"Semaj, I don't need to hear that pep talk, calm down, try to hear all sides bullshit right now."

"And I don't need you trying to kill us so either you slow down or you let me out the car right now." I demanded as his speed had reached above eighty miles per hour. He tested me by glancing at me as he kept at his speed, but the look on my face told him otherwise. He lifted his foot from the gas and once he was down to a little above seventy I started talking again. "You don't want to hear what I have to say because you know I'm right."

"Janet was old enough to understand all the shit I was doing and she knew I suffered the consequences so why she gon go and do something like this?"

"Maybe because they're at an impressionable age and kids do dumb stuff all the time, Michael."

"I bet you it's over that little boyfriend she got."

I laughed at this and Michael glanced at me.

"What's funny?" He asked turning his attention back to the road.

"If this is over her boyfriend what are you going to do?" I asked and lifted my eyebrows. My eyes were deadlocked on the side of his face. "Because I've done a lot of things my parents wouldn't approve of with you."

"Eighteen versus fourteen... Big fuckin difference there Semaj."

"You're right, but Janet is at that age where girls do dumb stuff for boys okay? I'm pretty sure this whole experience has set her straight, so she doesn't need you high-tailing on her behind. The same goes for Simone. I'm not sure I know what her role in this is whether she did it for a boy, or whether she did it to be looked at as cool... either way I'm not going to be ready to chew her out without hearing her side first. Which you should do with Janet."

Michael laughed to himself and I raised my eyebrows. "What?"

"You remember months ago when we was in Washing D.C. and we talked about kids?"

I nodded my head, "yeah. What does that have to do with this situation now though?"

"You gon be the reason our kids get into shit."

"Not un!" I was quick to defend myself, "if anything they'll get that from you!"

"No because you talkin' about hearing them out and all this other bullshit when they need to be chewed the fuck out. Janet and Simone got caught for stealing, Semaj. On top of that they asses were supposed to be at school. They skipped school and was shoplifting?" Michael held up two fingers and I sighed knowing he was right. "Janet ain't a little kid anymore. She know what she was doing and I'm pretty damn sure no one put a gun to her head and forced her to do it."