19 | No Matter What

Semaj's POV

"Ow!" I hissed as I dropped Lina's strand of weave. I was currently curling her hair for our junior and senior prom night for high school. "That hurt."

She turned around, looking at my hand. "You cool?"

I nodded, "the strand was still hot. I wasn't paying any attention."

She nodded, and I could tell that she was nervous. She didn't think her dress was that pretty though I had told her countless times that the red dress looked really good on her. After I was finished with her and she put on her dress and everything else it would all come together. I think she was more so nervous about what Tucker would think of her dress.

"Tell me again why you ain't going...?"

I rolled my eyes as I went back to carefully curling her hair. "After the Marco stuff happened I didn't want to worry my parents or Michael with prom. Plus, he didn't seem too ecstatic about it when I brought it up a couple of months ago. I don't think he really wanted to go so I don't mind not going. It's just a dance."

"Just a dance my butt" she grumbled, and I squeezed the curl in my hand for ten seconds before releasing it down her back. She pulled away from my hand and turned to look at me. "Are you sure you're okay with not going? Everyone is practically going to be there, and you know it's gon be the talk of school on Monday. Even Kearston goin'," she smirked, and I laughed.

I motioned for her to turn back around with my finger and once she did I finally replied.

"I'm perfectly fine with not going. On top of everything Michael has been really busy with school and remember I told you about the presentation he had to do with Nicole last week?" Lina nodded, "well I guess they were using real business information, hypothetically, from an actual company on how to increase sales and things like that... I don't really know the gist of it, but what I do know is they really enjoyed Nicole and Michael's take on it so they're going to use their presentation for real for real."

"What? Turn up then, but don't that mean they gotta work together still? Like how this about to go?"

I shrugged but remembered she couldn't see me, because I was standing behind her. "I don't know. Michael says no, but honestly, I wouldn't care either way. I think after what happened when we went out Nicole has learned to keep her distance. Michael can be harsh when he needs to. Anyway, they're having this big presentation after our graduation because they're going to use Nicole and Michael's plan to launch a new project and he's inviting us to attend with his family. That's if you want."

I never told Lina what happened between Michael and his family regarding Katherine and Joseph deciding to get back together. Michael had still failed to talk to either of his parents, but he's kept in touch with Janet who has kept him in the loop. I decided the best way for me to support him was to allow him to come to terms with their decision and choose whether or not he wanted to support them. I was hoping that he'd get passed all the differences and continue his growing relationship with Joseph but knowing Michael he was so stubborn that he might decide to do the exact opposite. I was praying for the best.

"You know I'm down. You got something I can snack on? A bit-chick, a chick is hungry."

I laughed and patted Lina's shoulder. She was on this "no cussing I'm going to try and be a better person" kick. "I think I have a packet of Cheez-Its down stairs."

Two bags of Cheez Its, ten trap songs, and half an episode of muted Law and Order: SVU later I was finished with curling Lina's hair. It was nearing six o'clock and while my mom and aunt were downstairs chatting it up Lina needed to hurry and put on her dress because Tucker was arriving at 6:15. Prom didn't start until eight, but he and Lina along with some of their friends and dates were going to dinner first. I helped her slip on the dress and took a couple steps back to get a final look. She went with something simple, but it worked in her favor. It was a strapless dress that was fitted and to her knee and then flared down neatly onto the floor. She twirled in a circle right as both of our moms came into the room.