30 | My Lifeline

I'm about to hit y'all with something real hard. Not death, but a real-life situation. Fair warning. I am NOT a lawyer, so I tried my best with my good friend google. Just saying.

***

3 Months ago

He was at her bedside everyday, holding her hand and being the man he needed her to be. He was there when she woke up crying from having remembered what she been through, when she was in pain, or when she was begging him to just take her home. He had to sit through watching her jump when a nurse just gently touched her arm or the look on her face when he had to leave the hospital for a few hours to go home to take a shower.

Semaj being shot had taken a toll on Michael and in front of her he kept it together, but behind closed door he was a complete mess. He made sure she didn't see him cry. Not because he thought it would hurt his ego (that was far from the reason), but she was going through enough and she didn't need to be worrying about him. All he needed her to do was focus on getting better.

He wiped at his red eyes before grabbing the eyedrops off his bathroom counter. He dropped two drops in each eye to try and get rid of some of the redness that had come to them from both exhaustion and tears. He thought he had done all his crying the first day or two, but Semaj was stressing herself out and that was taking a toll on her body and she ended up having not one, but two panic attack's which forced the doctors to keep her admitted when they thought she was to go home.

He was wondering if him being there was doing more harm than good. That maybe seeing him brought back what happened or that maybe she was starting to blame him for not being there? He wasn't sure, but Semaj barely spoke a word unless she was telling him to take her home.

Michael sighed and grabbed his phone off his bed after leaving out of the bedroom. He jogged down the steps maneuvering through his little nieces and nephews. His family had come to visit him, worried since they all hadn't spoken to him. Mostly because he didn't talk to anyone. His main focus was on Semaj.

"Michael!" Katherine yelled from his kitchen, stopping him in his tracks before he get out of the front door.

His nephew Siggy chuckled. "Oooh you're in trouble."

Michael pushed his big-headed nephew out of the way before walking back toward the kitchen. His mother, who had a dish rag thrown across her shoulder, wiped at her hands. "I'm cooking dinner. Why don't you stay?"

"I really need to go back to the hospital," he replied. "Semaj is gonna be looking for me."

"Michael you have been at that girls bedside every day for the last two weeks and in no way am I saying that's a bad thing, but you're not taking care of yourself in the process. What good are you to her if you get sick? You need to eat."

Katherine reached up to caress her son's face, but Michael moved back, shaking his head. "She was asleep when I left and if I ain't there when she wakes up she might have another panic attack. The doctors said those panic attacks could turn into seizures if she keeps gettin worse." He started to back up, "I need to be there."

And regardless of Katherine's protest Michael left to go and be next to Semaj's side. He made pit stop at the gas station before finally get to the hospital where Semaj was awake and staring up at the TV. She looked over at him a small smile coming to her face when he reached into the plastic bag around his wrist and pulled out the bag of chips.