The Short Scrolls: 2 Ches 1518 Edition, Scroll 1

Lady Silverhand Opens Watch to Non-humans, Stirs Unrest

Alturiak 18, 1518

The Humanists' fears are realized as Open Lord Laerel Silverhand publicly announced that she is opening the City Watch to non-human and non-demihuman members.

"The City Watch is overstretched," she stated during her address to the people at the Field of Triumph, earlier today. "There are good people that we have been restricting from serving our city, based solely on their race, and not the quality of the cloth they have been cut from."

The Humanists have voiced outrage over this decision since it was made earlier this week in the halls of Castle Waterdeep. Rumors are spreading that we will soon have ogres and hobgoblins lording their authority over us while other members of the court insist that the new rules are intended to only include the likes of tieflings, half-orcs, and dark elves.

"That's just as bad!" responded one member of the assembled community during a town hall meeting.

Wight Warriors Strike Again

Alturiak 20, 1518

The legend of the Wight Warriors, also known as The Four Deaths of Undermountain, continues to grow as another party of adventurers was slaughtered in Halastar's Dark Halls yesterday evening.

An adventuring party of 4 ventured into the dark pit at the Yawning Portal early yesterday, and this time, only one returned, with tales of a growing undead army, right below the city.

The wights gained recent fame after slaying members of another adventuring party, just two tendays ago. According to a now popular tavern song, bards say that a "devil-witch" had enchanted a group of adventurers to venture down to seek treasure to add to her horde. Only the witch and her henchman had returned. Among those lost is now famous halfling skald, Fendalan Swift.

When asked what would drive individuals to such depths of madness that they would crawl into that haunted hole, tavern owner Durnan replied, "I'll smash that mouth to the back of your head if you don't stop pestering me with your questions, dog."

---

Photo: https://www.deviantart.com/art/Magic-Scrolls-180341412