chapter 22

I approached Michael the next day, to make sure that we were ok. “Hi Mike,” I said, creeping towards him. “Kimberly,” he said, in a calm tone. “You with your boyfriend?”

“No,”

“Okay, good,” Michael chuckled a little. “He’s got a grip,”

I tilted my head, “I know. He’s a good guy though, Michael,”

“Whatever you say,” Michael said, sighing. He slid against the locker. “Why are you even with a guy like him?”

“He’s…” I didn’t want to use the word different, cause I knew he’d make me go into details. “Nice,” I managed a word.

“Have you considered?”

“What?”

“Us hanging out,”

“You know I can’t date you, Michael. I still don’t believe you even like me,” I sighed.

“How can I prove it to you?” Michael began to look eager. I never would’ve thought this day would come. Michael Clifford, my lifelong dream guy, was begging on his knees for me.

“How about we just hang out Michael? How about that?” I said this in the best “let’s stay friends” voice I could.

“Good,” Michael smiled and held out his hand. “Tonight,”

“You can just hang at my house. I’m totally fine with that,”

“Ok good,” He slid his hand across his shirt to smooth it out, and pat me on the back. “See you tonight, baby,” He left, and joined a group of football players who were shoving down the halls.

Did he just call me baby? Who gave him the right to call me baby? I then giggled a bit. I couldn’t help but giggle. He was just so darn cute.

 ~

That night Michael showed up at my house with flowers and chocolate. I didn’t know how to react so I just took them and hid them under the couch. He did know that this wasn’t a date? I awkwardly shuffled my feet. I really hoped my mom didn’t come down stairs to see I had brought home yet ANOTHER guy. Michael did act half drunk though. “You look beautiful,”

“I’m just wearing yoga pants and a tee,” I shrugged at him.

“So I was thinking we could like play pool or like watch a movie,” I sat down on my couch and he joined. “How about we talk?”

“Talk?” sounded a bit boring to me.

“About us,” Michael said this smiling and leaning in. I shoved him away a bit. “I’d rather watch a movie, Mike,” I turned on the tv, eager to find an interesting movie on any channel. Shoot, I couldn’t find one. I flipped through all channels, and finally found a history movie about the WWI. I selected it, and then pretended to be interested. “History?” Michael tossed back his head laughing ,and then grabbed my hand. “Stop, Mike.” I said, pulling my hand away.

“Just stop,”

“How can I stop Kim? You’re just so…amazing,”

“I don’t even know you that well,”

“I thought you wanted this,” Michael now gripped my wrists.