chapter 28

~~

I got a wet rag and began to wipe at the cut on his chest and leg. He layed back on the floor and groaned when I touched the spot.

“This isn’the first time this has happened.” He said.

I nodded, remembering when we barely knew eachother. How he showed up drunk and I had to clean up his wounds.

“Why do you keep having to clean up my messes?” Zayn groaned again as a wiped his leg.

“Zayn, you keep worrying me,” I placed the towel down and clutch my shirt.

“I just care so much about you, Kimmy Baker,” Zayn said, his voice sounding scratchy.

“If only there was a way,” I said. I felt like I was in a cheesy film about two souls being separated, and technically that was the case. “Listen, we’re going to let this month last, Zayn. We’re going to make this month last,” I repeated, laying my head against his beating heart. He placed his warm hand on my cheek and swallowed loudly.

“Okay,”

“I’ll be right back, I’m going to get some ice,”

“Thank you, Kimmy,”

I left for the kitchen and quickly grabbed an icepack from my freezer that I used to pack in my lunchbox. I tried to clear my mind about the fact I’d never see Zayn again after this month. But it didn’t work too well. I came back to see Zayn now standing at the door, and 2 boys standing outside. I hadn’t heard the knock. It was Calum and Michael.

“Guys, I’m really  busy right now,” I groaned a bit and walked over. “I’m tending to Zayn. I can text you guys later. No movie days or anything,”

“I didn’t come to ask you out,” Michael said. “I came to apologize. I’m sorry I was ever aggressive with you, and I know us two aren’t going to work out, but I’m glad we’re friends now,”

I nodded. “It’s fine, Michael. It was never a big deal,”

“And I’m sorry for rushing us,” Calum kind of whispered. The two boys’ looked at eachother awkwardly and I began to wonder why they suddenly wanted to ask for my apology.

“You only like Kimberly because we’re dating,” Zayn suddenly grunted. “And because you think she’s hot,”

“That’s not fully true,” Calum retorted

“Fully?” Zayn said, cracking his knuckles.

“Just stop,” Michael said, getting in between the boys’. “I have no attraction towards Kimberly, so you two need to quit fighting over her,”

“We’re not fighting over her you dumbass,” Zayn leaned in to Michael. “Calum’s a big cheat who thinks he’s all that,”

“I don’t think I’m all that,”

“Quit playing innocent,” Zayn growled. “Admitt you purposely dated Victoria to piss me off you cheat,”

“Shut up! Maybe that’s because I just don’t like you!”

My head began to pound at the boys’ fighting. I knew Calum didn’t like Zayn because he was different, but seeing Zayn so pissed, made me feel sick. I had had enough with these boys’ pretending to please me to get on Zayn’s nerves.

“And Kimberly did like me when we dated, right Kim?” Calum pressured me with his big eyes. I studdered a bit and looked at them.

“Calum, Kim doesn’t like you. She liked me when you two dated. She was trying to ask me out the whole time I was helping you,”

“You two are pathetic little-“ Zayn said in a harsh tone, but I suddenly felt weak and sat down.

“Guys, stop fighting, I feel sick,” I suddenly said, cutting them off.

But Zayn continued. “Quit trying to apologize to someone you never even love-“

Without being able to stop myself, I doubled over and puked on the ground by my feet. I coughed and Zayn immediately ran over and pulled back my hair. “Kimberly!” he said gasping. And then everything went black.

~~

I awoke on the couch, with Zayn laying next to me. He had wrapped a bandage around his wound, and I could see the mess I had made was cleaned up.

“You okay?” he asked me, feeling my forehead.

“I don’t know. I just got sick,”

“It’s my fault. We were pressuring you and yelling. You must get sick of me constantly starting a fight with them,” he held a wet rag on my forehead and kissed my cheek. “I’m sorry,”

“It’s okay. Are they gone?”

“They left after I layed you down. I don’t we’ll hear from them in a while,”

I smiled a bit and coughed. “You’re lucky I didn’t puke on you. I tend to do that,”

He laughed a bit and then looked down. “I’m, I’m sorry,” he said again. I looked at him, and he held his head.

“Kimberley. Day and night I always think about suicide. But then I remember that you were here for me, and I couldn’t leave it all behind. You taught me things to care about. You dealt with me being stubborn. The fact that I’m leaving you, makes me feel sick. I guess im just taking that anger out on myself and others. If there was only a way,”

“I’ll miss you, Zayn,” was all I could say.

~