Ocho

Gabriel's POV

I looked over at Dominique as I made my way to Veronica's school. Her hand was supporting her face as she looked out the window. She was a real beauty, she licked her lips and was about to turn when I fixed my eyes on the road again so she wouldn't see me. I really needed to stop agreeing to things, I should've told Matteo no.

Cabs are rare in Palm Beach County, you only get one if you have money to waste, but she could've gotten an Uber or Lift or something. She could've gotten anything but me. "Under the sea, under the sea," Veronica started singing the song from The Little Mermaid. I looked at her in the rearview mirror and smiled. "Nobody beat us. Fry us and eat us In fricassee," she continued. 

"We're here," I said stopping in front of her school. She frowned that she couldn't continue her song. 

"I'll pick you up later, okay sweetheart?" Dominique asked her. 

"Okay," she said, "can we go to the movies?" She asked pouting her lips.

"If you finish all your homework and you're a good girl," she replied. Veronica smiled and gave her mother a kiss on her cheeks. She gave me a kiss also and then left. I watched as she made her way in front of the school, she started running to a group of girls around the same age as her. I made sure she was okay then exited the school, everything went back to silent. "Thanks for doing this," Dominique said out of nowhere as we stood under a red light.

"It's no problem," I answered. She smiled and turned back to staring at the window. 

"So, can I ask you a question?" She asked me. I shook my head, "how was your date with Camila?" She asked. She really wanted to talk to me about a date I went to. I wished she was the one I was on the date with instead I was stuck with her friend. She had to know that was a mistake setting us up on a blind date. "I'm sorry, I guess I shouldn't have asked, it's none of my business," she said.

"No, it's fine," I answered her, "the date was fine. Setting me up with your friend was kind of wrong you know?" I asked her, "you're just setting her up for heartbreak, I don't do relationships. I just agreed to go on the date to get Matteo off my back," I told her honestly. She looked lost, her mouth shaped in an O.

"I'm sorry," she put her head down, the light turned green and I started driving again. "And why don't you do relationships?" She asked. Did she really not know? How could I even begin a relationship, maybe if she would get out of my fucking head, I'd probably do relationships.

"It's complicated," I answered her. 

"Uncomplicate it," she said back, "having someone who cares about you and you care about is wonderful. It's nice to love," she said but it was unconvincing really.

"Do you truly believe that?" I asked her. She shook her head no and I laughed. She started laughing also, I loved the sound of her laughter, "do you believe in soul mates?" I asked her.

"No, there isn't just one person out there, you know?" She asked. "Then no one would ever cheat on their spouses. Do you know how many people have said someone was their soul mate and they've broken up?" She asked me.

"I'm guessing a lot," I answered her. She nodded her head, "then why are you with my brother?" I asked her, "I mean if you don't believe he is the one person out there for you," she turned and thought for a while.

"I don't know," she said honestly. "I love your brother, I do, he's a wonderful man."

"But?" I asked.

"I do not think he is the only person I can love romantically and I don't think he is my soul mate or anything," she replied.

"Are you saying you love someone else?" I asked her. She opened her mouth to answer, but words were unable to come out of her mouth. She looked puzzled by my question, she shook her head.

"Are you interrogating me?" She asked, "did Matteo put you up to this?" She asked again. Matteo would be very curious about this sort of information, but I was asking solely for myself. My brother's girlfriend just told me that she doesn't believe his the only one for her and she might even love someone else. A good brother would go and tell him that. Let him know how his girl really feels, but why am I happy about this?

Why does it make me feel better knowing that she doesn't believe Matteo is the only one that can make her happy? Why is part of me hoping that I'm the one she loves? What is wrong with me? Dominique raised her eyebrow waiting for my answer, "no, I'm just curious," I answered her.

"Curious about how I feel about your brother?" She asked me. 

"No," I replied, "well, yes," I did not know how to answer her question. "I'm just curious," I rephrased my answer. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked," I added after a while.

"No, it's fine," she answered. "I do love your brother," she assured me. She sounded more like she wanted to assure herself of the truth. "I'm just saying that he's not the only person I love."

"Understandable," I replied, I looked over at her again. Why was she so danm beautiful? She put her curls behind her ear letting me see her face in full view. "What do you love about my brother?" I decided to ask her. 

She turned and stared at me, "a lot," she answered. "he's really funny, he always has a way of making you feel better, like he can talk a child out of committing suicide," she seemed sincere about it and she was right. Matteo always cared about others and he made it his job to make sure everyone around him is happy. "He's sweet, gentle, his so stubborn, but I love it anyway," she added.

"Oh," was all I could get out. I was in front of her job, she looked out the window and sighed. 

"Thanks for the ride," she said as she got out of the car. I watched her as she made her way into the building. Why did I ask her to tell me why she loved my brother? That was a mistake, all it accomplished was informing me about her true feelings. She loves my brother and I am a horrible person for even thinking about her anyway other than a sister-in-law. 

I was buying a one-way ticket straight to hell.