Viente y dos

Matteo's POV

"My dad agreed to watch Veronica so we are going out," I came behind Dominique giving her a hug. I kissed her cheeks gently waiting for an answer. She seemed lost staring at the window of our room. There was nothing interesting about the window, there was a curtain blocking it of anything interesting. I sighed and walked to face her, "you okay?" I asked her. She looked up at me shocked that I was speaking to her. 

"What?" She asked. 

"I said my dad's watching Veronica and I want to take you out," I told her. She nodded her head saying it was okay. 

"I'll get ready," she said. I took a seat on the bed and she disappeared into the closet.

"Domi," I opened my mouth to start but I stopped. She has been really distant lately, glaring into space when I was speaking to her. I shook my head, it was probably nothing. 

'''''''

"What are we doing here?" Dominique asked as she looked at the lake I took her so we could go canoeing. 

"This is where you told me you were pregnant with Veronica," I told her thinking about what happened here seven years ago. She nodded her head, "good memories, anyway, put a vest on," I handed her a life vest. She took it and put its own, I put one on also. It was a local lake in the city where everyone could come to canoe and swim. I took out one of the canoes and we both go on. "Are you're sure you are okay?" I asked her again as we got further away from the port.

"Yeah, I just got a lot on my mind," she said.

"Anything I can help with?" I asked her. She shook her head no. 

"Thank you though, why did you bring me here?" She asked, "I haven't been here since we were here seven years ago. I think the lake might have alligators," she remarked looking down below. I laughed shaking my head. 

"I want to talk to you about my past," I told her. "About everything, foster care, Ella, everything," I told her. I was done hiding part of myself from her. I wanted to be fully honest with her with all parts of it. "Just promise me you won't see me any different," I asked. She nodded her head, "someone framed our parents when we were younger, he planted drugs and an unregistered gun in the house and the police just happened to have a warrant."

"The police deemed the house unfit to raise children and removed us from it immediately," I told her. 

"Your parents couldn't fix that?" She asked. 

"They could," I replied, "my dad just wanted to go through the legal process, the legal process didn't work," I frowned thinking about the sad day. 

"How long did it take?" She asked me.

"Five years," I answered, "we were there for five years." "The couple we lived with was abusive, they would starve us, I remember one weekend, the locked me in the basement for three days because I um... questioned them," talking about it was harder than I thought. I felt tears about to fall down, I took a deep breath. I was not about to start crying about something that happened years ago. It was over, they couldn't hurt me nor Gabe anymore. 

"What?" She asked, "why didn't you tell your dad? Did they know that you guys were being treated this way?" She asked one after the one after the other. 

"No, I never told them," I answered, "Gabe and Ella were fine and I knew if I said anything, my dad would kill them. Over time, you just get used to it, that it doesn't even hurt," I paused.

"What finally stopped it?" She asked me. 

"It was five years later, my first year in high school. I think I..."