Cuarenta y quatro

Matteo's POV

I called Dominique's cell one more time only to get her voicemail. I rubbed my hands through my hair not knowing where she was. I could not afford to worry about her right now when I should be worrying about my baby. I looked through the glass window, her body lay on the bed looking so helpless. The doctor hadn't told me anything, all she said was that she had passed out during recess at school. What I wanted to know was what happened and what caused it. 

Just then I heard steps coming towards me, Dominique was walking in a fast manner. She came, "how is she?" She asked when she reached me. I pointed to the window. She passed her hands through her face and let out a deep sigh. 

"Mr. Russo," I heard my name being called. I turned around to see the doctor standing with her chart with another woman by her side. 

"Yes," I said. "This is Veronica's mother," I said pointing at Dominique. 

"Nice to meet you, I'm Dr. Miller," she handed her hand to Dominique to shake. Dominique shook it, "this is Ms. McCarther, she's with social services," she said. She handed her hand for us to shake also. My biggest fear was happening, they were getting social services involved in my kid's life. 

"Social services?" Dominique asked, "why do we need social services?" She asked crossing her hand over her chest.

"Your daughter passed out due to a low amount of vitamin B12, now that causes her to have a low count of red blood cells which causes her anemia. Is your daughter a vegetarian?" She asked, I shook my head no. "Okay," she said writing it down. "Your daughter also lacks other vitamins, she is underweight for her age. She's obviously malnourished and-"

"She's anorexic," Dominique quickly replied. "It's not medically diagnosed yet because she still has to get a psych evaluation and we are getting that done in two weeks," she said. 

"I'm sorry Mrs. Russo, but I'm afraid social services will have to step in and we also have to hold her to get in the middle of this," she said. 

"You think we are we not feeding her?" I asked, "are you serious, you're-"

"Matt," Dominique stopped me from saying anything else. I turned around trying to keep calm. I could not believe this, they were just going to take her and drag her away from us just like they did me. "Thank you," I heard Dominique said. She passed her hands on my back, "she'll be fine," she said. I looked over at her, I could tell she was just trying to remain calm. 

I tried to keep myself from asking her about where she was and why she was not answering her cell phone when her daughter needed her the most. This was about Veronica and we should not start an argument right now. I watched as she walked into the room and took a seat next to her. She kissed her forehead. Veronica opened her eyes and smiled the moment she saw her. 

She looked at her surrounding and gave her mother a questioning look. It was the saddest thing, how did you explain to a kid that they were in the hospital when the last thing they remember is them playing on a playground and being happy? I walked in there and she smiled the moment she saw me. 

'''''''

Both Dominique and I walked into our room in silence. The doctor said we had to leave so they could start their process with Veronica. They wanted to get her alone so they could question her about her home and how we treat her. I sat on my side of the bed in silent, I turned around and Dominique was just sitting there. We hadn't said a word to each other on our way over here, I turned and looked at her again taking a seat on the tip of the bed. "Where were you today?" I finally asked her. 

"I was running an errand, forgot my phone here," she said. 

"Without your car?" I asked her. 

"Yeah," she said quietly. I huffed and shook my head not believing it. She probably was out being a hoe with some man when her daughter was in the hospital. 

"You owe it to me Dominique, a decade of our relationship. Our daughter is turning seven in about three weeks, they took her and I do not have time to be in-"

"What are you implying, Matteo?" She inquired. I turned again and looked at her. Our backs were to each other. 

"I'm not implying anything," I said. I sighed and rubbed my tired face. "What do you want me to think?" I asked. There was nothing else for me to think other than that she was cheating on me with some other man. I was being a hypocrite if I wanted her to be faithful when I could not honestly say I have been nothing, but faithful to her. 

Maybe that was my reward, you do reap what you sow. "You have been lying about your whereabouts, you are distant, we have not had sex in weeks, you're lying to me everytime you open your mouth to speak to me. Camila?" I asked. "You were not with Camila because I saw her that day, Dominique we are grown adults, we have a daughter, it's not the time for lies and secrets."

She did not say anything, I wish I could see her facial expression right now. I got up and took my jacket off and stared at the mirror in the dresser. I felt her move, I looked towards her and she walked towards me. She stood beside me in the mirror. "There's um... someone else," she said. I held onto the dresser trying not to hit her right then and there. "I'm sorry Matt, I- I'm so sorry," she said. I stayed silent afraid nothing good would come out of my mouth if I spoke. "Matt, speak to me please," she said between the cries. I heard her sniffle, I turned and she was now wiping her face.

I could not believe she had the audacity to cry right now, I finally let go of the dresser. "You were hoeing around while our daughter was passed out in a  hospital bed?!" I yelled pointing at her. She shook her head no, a tear fell down her cheeks. "Answer me!" I yelled. 

"Matt," she said trying to touch me. 

I pulled away, "don't fucking touch me," I said. "Thought you were different than these other sluts," I said. I was now breathing hard, I needed to get out of here. She couldn't stop crying. 

"Matt, I'm sorry!" She yelled, I shook my head not believing it. I grabbed my keys and my phone and left the room. 

As I walked towards the door, I spotted Gabriel sitting on the stairs which was weird on why he was not smoking right now or sleeping. "You okay?" He asked me. I ignored him and got out the door slamming it.