Doce

Matteo's POV

I walked down the stairs to find Dominique and apologize for not telling her about foster care. I was going to kill Gabe, why didn't he just keep his mouth shut? I liked it a lot better when they didn't talk to each other. I walked into our room and she wasn't there. She must be in Veronica's room.

I walked to Veronica's room, the door was open as Dominique sat on the bed with Veronica laying down on her. She was reading her a bedtime story. I leaned on my door observing her. "Daddy," Veronica said making Dominique look up. Dominique rolled her eyes going back to the book.

"The end," she said closing the book. She kissed her goodnight and pulled her blanket over her small body. She pushed pass me and closed the door.

She walked to our room and I followed her, she pushed the door almost hitting my face. I grabbed her making her stop walking. "I'm sorry," I apologized.

"Matteo," she tried to pull away but I held her tighter. "I had to hear that you lived in foster care from your brother," she added.

"It's not that big of a deal, a lot of people lived in foster care," I tried to assure her.

She nodded her head agreeing, she gave me a sorry face. And that's why I didn't tell her, I didn't need her pity. I knew she was going to feel bad and not treat me the same way. "Gabriel said they used to starve you," I huffed passing my hands over my face. I'll kill him.

"Yeah, it wasn't that bad. Gabe just loves to exaggerate," I said. It was the worst moment of my life. We used to spend a week without eating. I wanted to run away and go as far as possible, but I remembered Gabe and Ella.

I couldn't leave them with those monsters. I made sure they were fine and tried to get him some food if I could. I used to be able to get food from this small restaurant near our house. The owner was nice enough.

"I don't see how he could exaggerate that," she pulled away and I let her. She went and took a seat on the tip of the bed. I followed her. I took a seat beside her, she put her head on my chest. I missed her forehead and played with her hair. "Why didn't you tell me?" She asked.

"I don't know," I answered her. I didn't know why I didn't tell her about this. I trust her and tell her about my life, my past, and present, but I could not bring myself to tell her about this. I did something I wasn't proud, I'm afraid if I tell her about foster care, she'll put the pieces together.

I'm afraid she will hate me, everything she thinks about me will shatter. "Just be honest with me for now on, okay?" She asked. I nodded my head. We sat like this for a while, we didn't say a word. We were just enjoying each other's company.
''''''
I sat down on the stool eating my breakfast. I was up earlier than usual. I was unable to sleep thinking about the things I tried so hard to forget. I buried my past a long time ago, but now it was rising like the Phoenix.

With the foster care issue coming up and Erika moving back in town, I knew nothing would be the same again. Gabe walked into the kitchen and I smiled, I needed him. "Morning," he murmured under his breath taking a seat. He was already dressed for work since Mom said she needed him to take care of something for her.

By taking care she meant, kill someone. He took a seat across from me rubbing his tired eyes. I wonder if he couldn't sleep either. I got up and poured him some coffee. "I made coffee," I said handing it to him.

"No thank you," he pushed it away. "What did you put in it?" He asked.

"Nothing," I shrugged my shoulders innocently, "its all black with two sugar just how you like it. Black and sweet," he looked at me weird at my use of language.

"Will I still have my hair in two days?" He asked. I immediately started laughing. He thought I was trying to take his hair, how sweet. The coffee wasn't my plan, I was just trying to be nice.

He knew I meant when I talked about his hair, I would but I'm too busy right now. I might not kill him, but I'll make sure I make his life hell. One time, he crossed the line and I switched his shampoo with hair remover.

He didn't figure out about it until a week later, by then he was almost bold. "Drink the coffee, Gabe," I told him. He rolled his eyes and pushed the cup away again. "Hairs grow every day," I added.

I grabbed the cup of coffee and held it near his hair acting as if I was about to pour it. He looked up scared that I would do that. I really enjoyed making him worry and on edge. "Matt, please stop," he said trying to grab the cup from my hand. I lifted my hand even higher, "Matteo," he groaned. I started laughing, my mom walked into the room shaking her head at the both of us. "Mom, make Matteo leave me alone," Gabe told her with pouted lips. He acted worse than a little kid sometimes.

"Matteo, stop bullying your brother," my mom said looking through some papers. She seemed lost in them. It's funny that we were grown adults and she still had to come in the middle of our arguments. I put the cup of coffee down to go ask my mom if everything was okay.

"Everything okay?" I asked her. She put the papers down and nodded her head, I was about to pick up the papers to read them when I felt the coffee pour down my head. My hair was wet, my face was wet, and now my clothes were wet. I turned around and looked at Gabe, I was officially going to kill him now.

He started laughing looking at my angry face, "Gabe, you better start running," I said between my teeth.

"Or what?" He asks, "you might fall," he started laughing again. I heard a second voice join him, I turned and my mother was unable to hold her laughter also.

"Oh," my mom said holding her stomach," he really got you," she added dying down on her laughter.

"I am going to get cleaned, just watch your hair, Gabe," I told him. I pushed passed him hitting his shoulder.

I walked into my room and saw Dominique towel wrapped around her body coming out of the bathroom. She looked at my wet hair and clothes weirdly, "what happened?" She asked me.

"Gabe happened," I replied. She broke down in laughter holding her stomach. I frowned, "it's not funny," I told her. She scratched her throat and attempted to be serious for a minute. After looking at me again, she started laughing. "Y'all going to hell laughing at someone's else's misery like that," I told her. She stuck her tongue out and walked into the closet to get dress. I walked into the bathroom to get myself cleaned up. 

After getting myself cleaned up, I walked to the kitchen again to finish my breakfast. My mom was talking to Veronica so I decided to look through the folder she said was nothing. I looked over at her and saw her start laughing with Veronica. I sighed and opened the folder. I stared at the photo I just saw, I didn't think I would ever see his face again. "Where did mom get that?" Gabriel said behind me making me startle. I shrugged my shoulders, I took out my phone from my pocket and took a picture of the documents and the photos. "Really, Matt?" Gabriel asked. 

"What?" I said innocently, "I just want to check it out. I'm not gonna kill anyone. I'm only capable of making people lose their hair," I smirked and pulled his hair. A strand of his hair came out and he frowned.  

"Matteo, Gabriel?" My mom called us. We both turned around awkwardly like two kids caught in the act. "What are y'all doing?" She asked.

"Nothing," we both said at the same time. She huffed and picked up her folder beside us. She looked at the both of us in our eyes, "nosy just like your father."

"Well, he did give us a sperm after all," Gabe said. 

"You don't know that," I said to him.

"You're right," Gabe said nodding his head. My mom shook his head and left us to go eat breakfast. "You think she has been looking for him for all these years?" Gabe asked me.

"Probably," I replied. "Just don't tell dad about this," I told him. He nodded his head and we all went to take a seat for breakfast.