Veinte y uno

Gabriel's POV

"We weren't thinking straight," she said. I stared at her not believing she would say that. Maybe I wasn't thinking straight when I decided to lock lips with my brother's girlfriend like that. Maybe my mind was simply playing tricks with me. 

"I was," I made the mistake of blurting out, "I was thinking straight," I clarified. I felt my heart jumping out of my chest, "I just," I passed my hand through my face trying to get this out. "I can't get you out of my mind, you're the first person I think of when I wake up, the last person I think about before falling asleep. I constantly want to be around you, I want to touch you. Dominique, I'm in love with you," I told her the hard truth. I probably was going to regret this later. 

She stared blankly at me searching my face. "You're crazy," she said before pushing passed me and slamming the door. I looked at the door she just exited, it then hit me that I made a horrible mistake. I just confessed my love for my brother's girl.

The way she ran out the room, maybe she was about to tell my brother how crazy I was and I should stay away from her. I ran out my room to follow her and apologize before she thought I was officially crazy. "Dominique," I called her, "wait I didn't mean to-" I stopped dead in my tracks when I see her with Matteo. My brother looked up at me questioning me with his eyes on why I was apologizing. Great, he was going to punch me again, I finally did cross the line.

"What happened?" Matteo asked looking at us both. 

Dominique opened her mouth to speak, I crossed my fingers that she wouldn't repeat what I just said to her, "nothing," she said. "He just bumped into me," I let out a sigh of relief. "Let's go, barbecue won't wait around," Dominique pulled away from him and walked into the backyard. I stayed on top of the stairs as Matteo stared at me. Maybe he didn't buy what Dominique just said, I started panicking.

"Come out," he said pointing out the backyard, "dad is wearing his kiss the chef apron again," he chuckled and left to go outside. My dad's apron was something he always wore and it was always funny because when we were a kid, we had to kiss his cheeks before we could get the barbecue. The funny thing is he still expected us to do that and it ended up being a whole joke. 

I walked down the stairs and looked out the glass window, I watched as everyone sat laughing and joking. Veronica was running around the place. They looked happy, exited almost. My dad was standing by the grill flipping the meat. When he saw me, he walked into the house staring at me asking why I was standing behind the door. "Gabe, what you don't want to do barbecues with us anymore?" He asked. I shook my head no, "come out," he said punching my arm lightly and going back outside. 

I sighed and walked out the backyard, everyone turned and looked at me giving me a smile. I took a seat, "I'm ready, who's going to get the plates?" My dad asked. 

"I got them," Dominique said getting up from her seat and walking inside the house. 

"Why don't you help her Gabe?" My mom asked me. I pointed my index finger at me asking if she was speaking to me, "you're the only Gave at the table, aren't you?" She asked. I got up from my seat and walked inside the house. I walked to the kitchen to grab the plates. 

Dominique looked at me but went back to the plates and pretended I wasn't there, "I'm sorry," I told her the words I was trying to express earlier. She continued to ignore me, "Dominique," I called her. She tried to get away, I grabbed her pulling her towards me. "I'm sorry, I don't know what I was thinking and I-" she moved away from me shaking her head no. 

"How long does it take to get some damn plates?" My brother asked from the window that opened in the backyard. "Hurry up, we're starving over here," he then went back. Dominique huffed and grabbed her plates, I do the same and walked out the house again. "Finally," my brother said. We handed everyone a plate and took a seat waiting to get served. 

''''''''

"This was nice," my mom said after everyone ate. "Matt, we have our meeting today, remember?" She asked him. Matteo nodded his head, "we have to leave now," he said.

"Yeah," Matteo said getting up. "Gab-" he was about to call me but he stopped. He looked at me, I knew he had something to say, but he couldn't. I hated us being like this, us not being able to communicate. 

"I guess Gabriel gets left with cleaning," my mom said sarcastically. 

"Haha," I said, "very funny," I rolled my eyes.  Veronica fell asleep on Dominique's legs, Matteo came and got her, he was about to kiss her but she turned around letting him kiss her cheeks. It seemed like only I noticed that she turned him down like that, he walked into the house with Veronica to put her to bed. 

Matteo then walked back outside, "mom, you ready?" He asked. My mom nodded her head and he kissed my father goodbye. They walked out of the house. My dad started to clean, I stopped him and told him I got it. He thanked me and went inside the house. I turned and Dominique was still sitting there not moving. I got out of my seat and started to assemble the plates. 

"I know you're not crazy," she said out of nowhere. I started to clean the grill ignoring her. She walked up to me standing in front of me between the grill and I. "It's just that I thought you were going to be the sane one."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked her. 

"Exactly what it means. We both know what we're doing is wrong, Gabriel," she didn't need to remind me of how wrong it was. "And it's best if we just try to live our lives ignoring it and you coming out and telling me how you feel, what did you expect me to say?" She asked me. I didn't answer her, I didn't know what answer I was expecting. However, I certainly know I did not want to hear I was crazy. "I'm dating your brother Gabriel, he's the father of my daughter and I love him so we can't be doing this," he said pointing to me then at her. 

"Don't you think I know that?" I asked her, I moved out of her sight and went to clean the table. "He's my brother, the last thing I want to do is hurt him. He's the person I've always known, the person I'd die for, we always had a wonderful relationship and now I-" I paused.

"You what?" He asked.

"I am destroying our relationship one day at a time because I am in love with his girlfriend," I finally said the thing I dared to not speak of out loud. I felt Dominique come closer to me. I continued to wipe the table clean. She grabbed my hand stopping me, I turned around and looked at her. She looked at me with a sorry face, she intertwined our fingers together and looked down at it. 

She then let go of my hand, she tippytoed and kissed me passionately. We were standing in the middle of the backyard kissing each other. Perhaps we didn't even care if someone saw us. No matter how much we tried to hope it wasn't true, but everything around us would eventually fall down.