Dieciocho

Gabriel's POV

I stared at the parking lot where Matteo was just standing. I wonder if he saw us in there. I turned when I heard the car door open. Dominique left slamming it, I rubbed my face making sure this wasn't a dream.

Oh God, what was I thinking? I should have never kissed her. Matteo was now going to kill me and I wouldn't blame him. I knew better, I shouldn't. I felt like my mind just scrambled forgetting all of my morals when she hugged me. Holding my hand was fine, but hugging me just drove me over the edge. Our skin was touching for god's sake. 

I got out of the car, I had to at some point. I put my key in the doorknob sighing before I opened it not knowing what I was going to encounter. When I opened the door, Veronica came and jumped on me. "Uncle Gabbie," she said. "I ate fries today," she said proudly showing all of her teeth. I laughed and walked into the living room to get to my room up the stairs.

"Really?" I asked her, "did you eat the burger that comes with the fries?" I asked. She shook her head no. "Mhmm," I frowned.

"It had tomatoes, I hate tomatoes," she said.

"Hey Gabe," my mom said when she noticed me. Her and my dad were sitting watching television. "Where were you?" She asked. I loved living here except for one thing, everyone was always in everybody's business. I was a grown man, why does she care about my whereabouts.

"Flea market," I answered her.

"Oh, honey," she tapped my dad. "We should go there sometimes," she added.

"Okay," I said awkwardly. I've never seen my mom excited about going to the flea market. I put Veronica down and told her I had to go shower. Truth was, I wanted to be alone for a minute. I needed a timeout to rethink my actions. I walked up the stairs, I felt relief being in my personal space where no one would bother me.

I opened my room door and threw my keys on my nightstand and dropped my body on the bed. The ceiling fan was turning, I must have left it on this morning. I stared at it trying to forget what happened only a few minutes ago.

What would have happened if Matteo hadn't shown up? I was all up in her body, touching her breast. My lips were touching hers for god's sake and what hurts more is the fact that I didn't care. At that moment, when I was touching and kissing her, I didn't care that she was my brother's girlfriend or that she was my niece's mother. All I wanted at that very moment was her, I knew there would be consequences, but I didn't give a crap.

I had a problem, maybe I should see a therapist about it. I'm sure there are professionals out there designated to help people who choose to love the wrong person, who choose to love their brother's girl.

I wouldn't have a problem if it was anyone but him, however, it was him. It was my brother of twenty-eight years. I have been through thick and thin with him. We saw each other at our best and at our worst. He was my brother, my blood, my family.

He was the only person out there I knew for a fact would die for me without hesitation. My phone started ringing, I took it out of my pocket to see the caller ID. I stared at Camila's name on my screen debating with myself if I should answer it or not.

I was about to put my phone when I remembered something. If I hang out with Camila there is a chance that I will forget about Dominique. I shook my head, I was not going to use a girl, that wasn't my style.

The phone continued to ring. Being the stupid idiot I am, I clicked the answer button. "Hello," I said.

"Hi," her cheerful voice said. "Did I wake you from your sleep?" She asked, I was about to answer her but she continued talking. "Of course I did, it's the middle of the night. Wait no, it's not even eight," I shook my head, the girl can talk.

"Camila," I stopped her from saying anything else. "You didn't wake me up because it is not the middle of the night," I told her.

"Yeah, I'm sorry," what was she apologizing for? I shook my head unbelievably. "I was calling to ask if you wanted to hang out tomorrow, I mean if you want to," she added.

Did I want to hang out with her? I would rather hang out with Dominique but you don't always get what you want. I knew if I hung out with her, my heart wouldn't fully be there and I would feel bad. She was a cool girl, to be honest. She was funny, kind, not blonde, and she has an accent. I love a woman with an accent. "Sure, that'd be cool," I answered her question. "Around what time are you available?" I asked.

"Um... Seven," she replied.

"It's a date, you can pick a place," I said.

"Camila," I heard her name being called on the line.

"I'm sorry I have to go," she said having up the phone. I sighed and put my phone away going back to my thoughts and I.

I closed my eyes to let take over when I heard a knock at the door. "Amy, I'm not eating dinner. Mom, leave me alone. Dad, on a scale of one to ten how important is the problem?" I answered everyone who I knew would be at my door. I didn't want to eat dinner with my family Dominique would be there with Matteo and there was a chance of them acting all lovey-dovey.

"Gabe, it's me," Matteo said on the other side. I quickly got up, I thought we were not speaking to each other. After we have an agreement, we usually spend a week not talking to each other. This time it was more than an argument he was furious with me, it got physical, that never happened before.

I felt like punching back, but a part of me knew I deserved it and more. Matteo never knocked on my door before, he usually just barged in. "Gabe?" He called on the other side.

"Come in," I finally built up the courage of saying. He opened the door and walked making sure to close it.

"Can I talk to you?" He asked with a serious face. I stared at him not knowing how to answer him.

Oh God, did he know I was kissing his girlfriend and mother of his daughter?