Cuarenta y cinco

Dominique's POV

He walked out of the room slamming the door. I passed my hands over my face as the tears kept on coming. I dropped my body on the floor bringing my knee up to my face acting like a little kid. I knew I should not have told him without talking to Gabriel first, he was furious and I did not blame him. I did not blame him for what he said either, he was right. I was out there being a hoe when my daughter was in the hospital.

I should have been there, I heard a knock on the door. I ignored it, it probably was Aurora looking for Matteo, I did not feel like dealing with her right now. I knew she was going to be blaming me because I did not fix Veronica's eating problems before it got this bad. It was my fault, maybe I should have gotten her help before it got this far. Now the state was involved, this was horrible. The person knocked on the door again, "sweetheart," I heard Gabriel said on the other side of the door. I sniffled and wiped my face trying to get rid of the tears. "Please open the door," I heard him say.

I got off the floor and opened the door, he stood on the other side. "I'm sorry," he told me pulling me in for a hug. He pulled away looking at my face, "did he hit you?" He asked me anger evident in his tone. I shook my head no, "okay, it's fine," he assured me rubbing his thumb on my cheeks. "Is Veronica going to be okay?" He questioned.

"Yes, I think so," I told him. "Social services got her, they are doing their own psych evaluation because she is malnourished and they think we are starving her," I said letting out a deep breath. 

He huffed shaking his head, "okay," he said letting out a deep breath. "What happened with Matteo?" He questioned. I looked at his face as he waited for the answer. Now I felt really bad, at least I did not say it was him. I did not only have myself to think of, I had to think of him. This was his brother of twenty-eight years, they loved each other, and I was one step away from ruining their sacred relationship. 

"I told him," I finally let out. 

"You told him what?" He asked, "I did not answer him, "about us?" He asked pointing his index finger at me then at him. 

"No, I just told him there was someone else?" I said. 

"Are you serious?" He asked me, he turned around and passed his hands through his hair. He let out a deep breath and turned back around, "let's just," he started. "Let's just deal with Veronica right now, okay?" I nodded my head, "I'll call him," he said. I watched as he took out his phone from his pocket.

He dialed the number and put the phone in his ear. We waited for a while, but there was no answer. It went to his voicemail, Gabriel then took the phone from his ear and texted him instead. "God, this is a mess," Gabriel murmured. 

"I'm sorry, okay?" I asked him, "I was tired of lying about what was really going on and we owe it to him, Gabriel," I said getting angry myself. Gabriel had known him all his life and I have known him for almost half my life. He deserved to know what was going on. 

"We owe it to him?" He questioned putting his phone back in his pocket. "You want me to tell my brother that I love his girlfriend and mother of his child. I might as well kill myself, I care about him and you know that, but somethings are better left unsaid," he said. He turned and passed his hands through his dark hair again.

"So what?" I asked him, "we're going to spend our whole life living a lie simply because you're afraid of your brother?" I asked. I knew Matteo would be angry, but I also knew he deserved the truth. Part of me was hoping he'd understand what was going on. 

"I'm not afraid of him, Dominique," he said turning back around. "It'll kill him!" He yelled, I think the whole house heard him. "My brother does not trust people and you should know that, he cares about family and you want me to tell him about how I betrayed him?" He asked, I shook my head no. "Exactly," he answered. 

"Sweetheart, I love you, but it's not that simple," he said. He came closer to me and rubbed my cheek with his thumb. "I wish we didn't have to do this, keep this a secret, but we have no choice for now," he added. I removed myself from him keeping the distance, he looked at me and sighed. "I'm sorry," he reached over to grab my hand, but I pulled away. I really did not want to deal with him right now, he was right, let's just make sure Veronica is okay for now. 

He sighed again and pulled his hand away, "just go," I told him. 

"Okay," he said with a frown, "I'm moving out," he added before leaving. Did he say he was moving out? I sighed and entered the room closing the door. Despite if it was true or not, I think him moving out was what everyone needed right now. It might also be everyone moving out to get some privacy to deal with everything going on right now. My phone started ringing, I grabbed it on the nightstand where I had left it earlier. 

It was Matteo, that was weird for him to call me. Usually, when he was mad, he needed a few hours to cool down. And earlier he was beyond mad, I answered the call. "Hello?" I said, but there was no answer. "Hello?" I said again. He might've butt called me again; he really needed to put a password on his phone. 

I was about to hang up, then realized I wanted to know where he was.  There was not much noise, glad he was not at a bar or something. "Matteo?" I heard someone call him. The voice sounded oddly familiar though, I might not recognize it, but it was definitely female. "What are you doing?" The voice asked. 

"Isn't this what you wanted?" I heard him ask. "Well, you're in luck, I am very angry right now and I need someone to take care of that," I didn't wait to hear anything else and just hung up the phone.