Viente y cinco

Dominique's POV

"So," Camila said with a smile planted on her face as she entered my car. I finally got my car fixed, it would probably break apart in a few months, but it was fine for now. "We went running last night," she added. She put her seatbelt on and I started driving to the hair salon. We were getting our hair done today, we did it every four weeks together. 

"Who?" I asked her. I had no idea who she was talking about now. 

"Gabriel and I," she answered. "He's so sweet," she said. Her eyes look like she has seen gold or something. I've known her long enough to know that she was serious about him. "I know I don't want a relationship, but he's cool, I don't know," she said as she looked out the window. "I think I might like him, Nique," she finished. I frowned but quickly turned it into a smile so she doesn't see it. 

If Gabriel was with her last night, maybe he felt the same way about her. I was being selfish, I was dating his brother, he could date anyone who he wanted. He only confessed his love for me a few days ago, no big deal. It was a mistake setting Camila with him, she'll tell me everything they do. She'll fall in love with him and I'll be jealous and I won't be a good friend. "Dominique?" She called me. 

"Huh," I said. I was lost in my mind for a moment. God, I know had no idea what I was doing with my life. I was confused, my life was officially turned upside down and there was nothing I could do to change it. I wished Gabriel hadn't told me how he really felt, maybe I could have kept going not knowing how he felt. And Matteo just came and told me everything, I was the bad girlfriend. How could I not have known all these things going on with him? 

"What do you think?" She asked me, "you do live with the guy after all," she said her eyes full of hope awaiting my answer. 

"Um..." I said. I took my eyes off the road looking at her. "He's a wonderful guy," I said what she wanted to hear and what was the truth. Gabriel was a wonderful guy, Matteo was a wonderful guy, they were just wonderful guys. "Just don't fall too hard," I said. She chuckled, just then we arrived at the salon we've been coming to for as long as I can remember. We got out of the car, the hot sun hitting my back. 

We quickly made our way inside, relieved when we are finally under the AC, one of the greatest inventions. The lady smiled at us and made us take a seat where we always sat. "You think he likes me too?" Camila questioned as we waited for the stylist. I couldn't answer her question, did he like her? 

Maybe he did and he was just playing with my mind. "I don't know," I answered her honestly. She nodded her head. Just then the stylist came. 

"The usual?" She asked me. I looked around me at the women sitting down getting their hair done. The salon was mostly composed of Hispanic women and black women. Some were getting braids, some getting weave, some getting their hair dyed, and so much more. The stylist stared at me waiting for the answer. 

I always did the same thing with my hair when I came here. My hair was permed so I would just do a retouch, curl it and nothing else. I wanted to do something different, I wanted to get out of my comfort zone. "No," I replied. "Chop it off," I said. 

Camila gasped sitting up from her chair. "Chop it off?" She asked me. I nodded my head. "Why?" Camila yelled. 

"I want to do something different," I said. "Can you dye it also?" I asked.

"What color?" The stylist asked. 

"Bright red," I replied. She nodded her head and went to get everything ready. After a few minutes she came back, she asked me again if I was sure, I nodded my head. I watched as she took a scissor and started to chop it off. My hair fell down, my beautiful hair I've had forever was going to be gone. 

'''''''

"I like it," I said looking at my car's rearview mirror. Camila nodded her head. My face shape matched with a low cut, today I happened to be wearing hoop earrings and I have to admit I looked sexy as hell. 

"It's different," Camila said. "But you look hot," she said fanning herself. I chuckled and put the key in the ignition to make my way home. I drove for about fifteen minutes reaching Camila's house. I dropped her and made my way to my house. After a few minutes, I had arrived. I took a deep breath and exited my car. Matteo wasn't home yet and Veronica was staying at this after-school movie thing with her class. 

I put my key in the doorknob and then twisted it. The door opened, there was no one here, I shrugged my shoulders. I could take a nap before I have to go pick up Veronica from school. I was about to turn to a hallway to go to my room when I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Gabriel's here, great. He smiled when he saw me. "New look," he commented. 

"Yeah, I wanted to try something different," I told him. 

"I like it," he said. I didn't know why but I was happy knowing he liked it. It was not like I did it for him or anything. "It's hot," he added. He reached down the stairs and stood in front of me. He looked at my hair and down at my body. 

"Thank you," I said. He mouthed me you're welcome with a bright smile. "Do you like Camila?" I asked him. I was curious both to know if my friend would be getting her heart broken and if I would have to prepare myself to seeing them together. 

"If I like her?" He questioned. 

"Yes," I replied. "I mean romantically," he shook his head seeing what I meant. 

"Well," he said passing his hands through his hair. "She's a wonderful girl," he said. That still didn't answer my question. "I enjoy speaking to her, but I see her more than a friend. I'm sorry if she got the wrong expression," he said. I nodded my head. "Besides I like someone else," he said putting like in air quotations. I chuckled, he approached me and kissed my cheeks. I felt shivers run through my whole body his lips being this close to mine. As he pulled away, his lips brushed against mine. He stopped and pecked my lips. "Does it bother you?" He whispered in my ear.

"What?" I asked him. 

"The possibility of Camila and I?" He questioned. 

"A little," I answered him honestly.

"You're sleeping in the same bed as my brother," he reminded me. We heard the front door opening and he pulled away. He leaned on the stairwell acting as if we were just talking, after a few seconds Matteo came into view. 

I turned around and he stared at me specifically at my hair. "What happened?" He asked me coming closer. 

"I cut it," I answered him. 

"Why?" he questioned. I frowned, I did not need a reason to cut my hair. 

"I-" I tried to form an answer. "Because I wanted to," I simply told him before leaving and going to our room.