Trenta y ocho

Dominique's POV

"Mommy, you're here!" Veronica yelled as she jumped on the bed next to me. "What happened yesterday, you were supposed to read to me," she frowned. The memories of what happened the day before flashed through my mind. I sighed putting my book down, so I can speak to her.

"Mommy got caught in some things yesterday, okay?" I asked her. She nodded her head, "I promise I will make it up to you today. I'll read your favorite book," a smile appeared on her face. Just then Matteo walked out of the closet all dressed for work. He was not speaking to me, I did not blame him. It was only six in the morning and he was already leaving for work indicating he was not in the mood to deal with anyone today. I watched as he walked to his side of the bedroom grabbing his phone from the nightstand putting it in his pocket.

"I'll see you after work," he told Veronica kissing his forehead. In any other situation, he would have kissed me too and said goodbye.

He was about to exit the room when I called him, "Matt," he took a deep breath his hands inside his pocket before he finally turned around and looked at me. He opened his mouth to speak, but then he looked at Veronica seated beside me. He raised his eyebrow asking what I wanted. "Have a good day," I told him.

"Okay," with that he opened the door and left slamming the door. I hated him not talking to me, it was my fault. Since I did not have to get up yet to go take Veronica to school and go to work, I grabbed my book again and went back to my reading. Veronica laid down on my lap staring at the ceiling.

''''''

"Morning beautiful," Gabriel told me as I walked passed the stairs. He was walking down the stairs, I smiled not even turning around. I am about to continue my walk to the kitchen to grab some breakfast when he pulls me towards him and hugs my back. "No good morning back?" He asked me. I tried to pull away, but he was stronger than me. His parents were in the kitchen, they could walk in here any moment, not to begin with how Veronica might see us. Thank goodness the walls here were thick. His hands were wrapped around my stomach. He kissed my cheek and sighed, he then pulled away.

I paused, and I watched as he walked towards the kitchen. "Morning," I said to everyone. Today the menu was cereal and milk or toast since Amy still had not come back. I kind of missed her being around, she did make the best breakfast omelet. Everyone murmured good morning back, I grabbed a bowl to make myself some cereal. It was getting late, Gabriel simply grabbed some coffee and left. After a few seconds, I heard the front door open and close. I was now stuck with Alberto and Aurora.

"Oh honey, I have to get going," Aurora said to her husband. She got up the stools and kissed her husband's cheek and she gave Veronica a hug. She gave me a smile then I watched as she exited the kitchen. She seemed chirpy this morning smiling at me and everything, what was she up to? Veronica came and took a spoon of my cereal to my surprise and started running around the kitchen.

Alberto was seated across from me, he looked up and looked at me. I always enjoyed his presence, he is a funny person who was just fun to be around. However, now he hated me, he might've even thought I was a little slut coming between his two sons. Veronica then went out the kitchen to who knows where, but she still had some time to be at school so I was not worried. I was getting tired of the silent, "just say it," I told him. 

"Say what?" He questioned like he had no idea what I was speaking of. 

"Say what you are thinking. I'm a little slut trying to screw over your sons," I said. His eyes dilated surprised at my words. I never did say anything inappropriate in front of them. I wanted to have his respect, but now I way passed respect. "I know you know about Gabriel and I," I added. 

"You said it," he said. "I was never going to call you a slut, that is inappropriate, but I am disappointed in you," he said it like he was my father or something. For some odd reason, I felt saddened. I never wanted to disappoint anyone in my life certainly not someone I could see as my father. "I've known many young beautiful women like you, they were just always after money or some other shallow thing. I have to admit that I was expecting the worse when I felt my son become serious about you, but you've won me over especially after Veronica was born."

"You gave me my first granddaughter and I know Matteo is a headache and he can be an asshole, but you stayed. You gave him a chance, you gave our family a chance, you deal with Aurora when many people would have run already. I thought you were going to be the one to change Matteo, but you do this?" He asked. "I'm just disappointed," he repeated. 

I felt tears coming, but I tried to hold them back. I felt like the devil when he put it like that. I was a disappointment, to my family and now to him. "Look, I don't know what you and Gabe are up to and I don't want to, but if you have any sort of integrity left in you please let Matteo know how you feel before you hurt him," I nodded my head. He was right and I knew eventually it would be best to tell him how I felt. 

I had no problem telling him I loved someone else, but to tell it's his brother, I was going to break him. Alberto gave me one more look and stood up from his stool. I watched as he removed the bowl he was using washing it and putting it away. He then left the kitchen, I lost my appetite and threw away the rest of my food. I looked down at my watch, it was time for me to leave so I went and looked for Veronica to make my way out of the house.

'''''''

I sat my bed leaning on the bed reading my book. I grabbed my phone and checked the time, it was one in the morning and Matteo still had not come home. I knew he was mad at me, but he never stayed out this late without letting me know. I was worried something might've happened to him especially with the type of job he does. 

I was just about to grab my phone to call him again with the door opened. He entered the room still dressed in his suit he had left this morning looking tired as hell. He didn't bother greeting me or anything, he just set his briefcase down on the small desk we had in the corner. He then entered the closet probably to undress. I set my book down and got off the bed, I walked to the closet and stood at the door frame before entering. 

He was just standing in there, he was staring at the clothes hanging as if he was fascinated by then. He then let out a deep breath and took his jacket off and started undressing. "Matt," I called him. He startled, but did not bother turning around to look at me. I entered the closet and came to stand in front of him my hands crossed over my chest. Since he was taller than me, he looked down at me. His blue eyes then turned their attention back to unbuttoning his shirt. "I'm sorry," I told him. 

He looked at me again, "Camila and I just got caught up in this movie we were watching and I did not notice how late it was, I should have called and I am sorry," he licked his pink lips and looked me in the eye. He chuckled, but I could tell it was fake. He huffed again and simply shook his head okay. I hated lying to him, but I did not know how to tell him the truth. Tell him I was with his brother all night?

"I don't care, Dominique, you are grown and can do whatever the fuck you want," he finished his shirt and went to move away from me. I stopped him grabbing his hand.

"Don't do that," I pleaded.

"Do what?" He questioned. 

"Get mad and gave me the silent treatment. I am sorry, babe, what else you want me to say?" I gave him an innocently cute face hoping he would forgive me and let it go. He looked down at my face and pulled his hand away from me. I've never seen him this mad before, he grabbed his towel and left the closet. I followed him out, he entered the bathroom and made sure to lock the door so I would not follow him. 

I sighed passing my hands through my face not knowing what to say anymore except the truth.