Trenta y dos

Matteo's POV

"Pharmaceutical companies are starting to lose most of their customers with new ways of getting drugs on the rise. There needs to be a change," one of the bald white guys said. I questioned why I was even here, I did not care. "Our insurance acceptance needs to widen, more Obamacare, Medicare, Medicaid, Better Health, and so forth," he said. We never did take those low insurance for many reasons. We are in a great area, most of our customers are middle class and upper-class people. Due to that, we didn't find it necessary to accept lower class insurance. "All you have to do is approve it," he told me handing me a paper to sign.

Why didn't Gabriel ever have to come to those stupid meetings instead? All they needed was a signature of a Russo, it didn't matter which one. Of course, my mom always forced me to come saying Gabriel has no bedside manner and he cannot handle people. "You got it," I said. He smiled, I signed the paper and slid it down the table to him. "Will that be all?" I asked him. He nodded his head, I smiled wanting to get back to work. I got up taking my briefcase and exited the conference room.

I made my way to the elevator to go to my office. I arrived at the floor to my office and there were already a few people here. I twisted my doorknob to open it; surprisingly, my door was open. I must've left it open from last night, I left here late, and I was tired. When I opened the door, there was Erika seated on my chair with her feet up on my desk. I wasn't even surprised anymore of her being here, I knew she would come here eventually. I blocked her, I'm surprised she took so long. "How did you get in?" I asked. I set my briefcase down and went to open my window to let some sunlight in here.

"I have my ways," she replied. I didn't bother looking at her, I stared at the window at the streets below me. She had her ways? Of course, she did, it was Erika, she had her ways for everything. "So, you blocked me?" She questioned. "What kind of sick game are you playing?" She asked. I felt her get up, she came and stood beside me. She stared down below at the window also. I turned to look at her, her dark hair was in a bun showing off her pretty face. Unlike her usual slutty self, today she was looking decent. She was wearing a black pencil dress that reached her knees. Her curves were showing in the drees though and she had some type of heel to accompany it.

"April 7, 2009," I told her. She raised her eyebrow asking me what the date meant. "You told me you didn't want to be together," I explained. "I started dating Dominique a year before, what did you do when you found out?" I asked her. She didn't answer me, I never was serious in my relationships. Dominique was the first woman I was with that I felt something serious for. I did not want to just sleep with her, I wanted to build a life with her. "You got jealous, and on April 7, 2009, I told you I would end my relationship with Dominique, for us, and you told me you did not want to be together," I finished.

She looked over at me, "Matt," she called me. I shook my head no, "I-I just," she started.

"Don't do that," I said. "You don't want a relationship with me. I do not want just a fling, why can't you understand that?" I asked her. She knew how I felt, I loved her. Together there was a certain spark I could never feel with Dominique. It was because she was the first woman I loved. She was my first love and obviously, she does not feel the same way about me. She kept repeating the same thing saying she was not the relationship and family type because of her experiences in life. I out of all people should know and she knew I was different. I knew she came from a broken family, but at some point, you must move on.

Coming from a broken family does not mean you are broken yourself. "Just go," I told her. She frowned, "Erika, get out," I told her pointing out the door. She sighed and nodded her head. I turned my attention back to the window. I heard the door slam after a few seconds, I sighed feeling relief that I finally handled that.