Chapter 7

"Pfft! Haha..."

The shocked silence that stretched after Phoenix's question was broken by Davina who suddenly burst into laughter, doubling over on her knees while hugging her stomach and even tears sprung from her eyes.

Why? Anyone who saw the sour look on Kelvin's face right now as he looked at his sister like looking at a dead person would crack up just as much, and it's exactly why Isabel and Kim also fell into a laughing fit on taking notice of the downturned mouth with lips slightly parted in scorn and the dead fish eyes that screamed ridicule.

It was a look that seemed to beg the question, 'are you an idiot?'

Isabel, who earlier couldn't choose between laughing or crying, was now doing both uncontrollably and when she looked up and saw Phoenix looking at them with a heavily confused look, oblivious to just about everything, she guffawed so hard that she snorted.

"What do you say, Zac? Would you like me to be your new mommy?"

Unaware that her own son's face had turned as black as pot's bottom, Isabel giggled as she hugged the little guy on her lap and nuzzled his cheeks with her own.

She had no idea whose child this was, but Zac was too precious; she really wouldn't mind making him a part of her family, even if only to hear him call her 'mum' once.

Isabel didn't know that her simple half joking question had thrown the little boy's mind into chaos as he thought seriously.

This lady was very nice; she was kind and she was pretty and actually reminded him very much of his own mommy.

His own mommy had died more than a year ago and he had heard his grandma talking to his uncle about getting him a step-mother; everyone knew that stepmothers were terrible people and he really didn't want one, but if his stepmother would be someone like this lady, he really wouldn't mind. However...

Zac's eyes landed on the elaborate gold ring on Isabel's left ring finger.

His mommy had once told him that a lady should only wear a ring on that finger when she found the person she loved most in the world and that person loved her back and they decided to spend the rest of their lives together. This lady was so pretty and kind, so the person she was in love with had to be someone really amazing and his own dad...

Zac's face fell when he thought of his father's current condition and everyone noticed it. Thinking that he was sad because of Isabel's words, the atmosphere turned a little awkward.

"Ahem. Um, Izzy, how long do you plan to sit there?"

Davina stepped forward to help Isabel up from the floor in an attempt to save the mood.

"Right? We came here to look for a house, but you've spent the better part of it sitting on the floor while feeding on cuteness points." Kim teased with a laugh and Isabel laughed along, her bright smile lifting the atmosphere once more.

"Right then; let's head inside. We're so sorry for inconveniencing you."

Isabel smiled apologetically at the young staff member once she was able to stand and the lady waved her hands, saying it was no problem as she tried to suppress the twitching at the side of her mouth.

This woman, she wanted to be this little master's new mother? Keep dreaming!

Did she even know this little master's identity? Don't be ridiculous!

Sure she had saved him from possibly seriously injuring himself, but she would still be lucky to get off unscathed just for uttering those words and not being accused of branch climbing. Even if she was very pretty, she was already a married woman with kids, didn't she know any shame?