Chapter 21

Staring at the empty seats across from him, Brycen gripped the papers in his hand, the final agreement of his and Isabel's divorce.

The past half an hour was like floating through a dream for him, he really couldn't believe that the woman who was so eloquent, confident and brassy, fighting word for word and winning against Dale Winters who was one of the best lawyers in this part of the country was actually the wife ignored for so long.

Since the day he went to see her at the hospital he had gotten the feeling that she had changed from being the woman he knew but the reality had only just set in that she really has changed and she really didn't care that they were separating; she was serious about never wanting to see him again, this wasn't any kind of strategy to get his attention like he had been thinking and realizing that, for some reason, made Brycen feel sick and he couldn't understand why.

On the side, Dale was packing up his briefcase after his first loss in years and also his most gratifying one then he turned to see the lost and pale faced Brycen staring off into space while crumpling the agreement he had just shed blood to close and he couldn't help feeling slightly irked as he reached over to snatch it away then smooth it out.

As he ironed out the crinkles with his hand, he recalled the many brazen words and expressions of the woman that had sat across from him only minutes ago and an unexpected chuckle rose from Dale's throat.

Dale wasn't married, but he did have a lover that he cherished deeply; what he was feeling towards Isabel Rogers was not desire nor infatuation but pure admiration and respect. As a woman with only a high school level education who had worked in the entertainment industry since the age of eighteen and done no further studying, her knowledge on legal procedures could rival his own and her unrelenting attitude and confidence made for mean authoritative package that he was hard pressed to overcome.

Dale was in awe and his appreciation had extended from just the delicate but strong character of 'Lady Clarisse' to Isabel Rogers herself. The woman was an uncrowned queen and honestly, Dale believed she didn't need the crown; some glorified status like 'Lady Boss of Jaeger Corp' would only be a little trinket to dangle off her innate grandeur. He really had to wonder what his friend had been thinking all these years to be dissatisfied with a woman like this that countless men would undoubtedly and quite literally kill for.

Looking at the divorce settlement lying in his case, Dale covered his face with one hand, his shoulders moving up and down in silent laughter. If Brycen had just been satisfied with the first agreement she sent over, which had only asked for full legal custody of the twins, he wouldn't have suffered such a burning defeat.

Like she said, Isabel hadn't taken any properties from Brycen but she had walked away Primary Physical Custody of the twins, allowing Brycen no more than two days of contact with her children per month and ten out of Brycen's thirty percent shares in Jaeger Corp; a full sweep.

With those shares she was now a board member of Jaeger Corporation and even if she quit her job as an actress and model to become a full time mom, she could still afford to live lavishly just from the yearly subsidies the position granted her, even if she didn't show up for any of the meetings.

Shaking his head, Dale snapped his case shut just as his cell phone issued a noise, his lover was asking him out to lunch, there was no way he was going to refuse.

"I have an engagement to attend, you can go back to the company by yourself. I'll handle the necessary legal procedures and by the next few days you'll be a free man."

As Dale walked out of the private room, his head was lowered, busy texting his lover. He knew the little imp liked little tales like these. He was bound by lawyer-client confidentiality, so he couldn't give the little one all the details, but the gist of the story will certain have those jade green eyes sparkling.