Chapter 32

Although the invitation was to 'drink sorrow', Isabel ended up feeling like she had gone to the bar with one of her coworkers and they were casually drinking while complaining about life; she unexpectedly felt very relaxed next to 'Sage' and that led to her drinking with abandon, plus, it wasn't like she was the one paying.

Drink, drink, drink.

So far, what Isabel understood about 'Sage' was that the guy was pitiful. His older brother recently got into an accident leaving him to take over the family business, a responsibility he had never wanted and now that he was master of the house there were countless people pushing for him to get married and have a child of his own, however 'Sage's' older brother already had a son who should be the rightful heir so he disagreed with their ideas. But recently, his sister-in-law's family had also been pushing for him to get married, saying that a complete family would be best for his nephew, so he should take a wife soon and if he didn't want to then they would fight him for legal custody of the boy.

'Sage' and his brother shared a close relationship and he was regretful that he couldn't do anything to help his brother while he was alive, so he at least wanted to help him raise his son, he didn't want to give him up, he was stuck in a dilemma.

If it were before, Isabel didn't think she would be able to give this man any advice but she had been reborn and after listening, she felt that 'Sage's' situation was a bit similar to her own from the past life in the sense that the man had yet to realize exactly how much power he really held in his own situation, so she could empathize.

Turning the glass to her head and draining the last of the sweet red liquor into her mouth, Isabel then picked up a lime slice from the side and sucked on it, the intense sweet and sour exploding brilliantly on her tongue. This was already her sixth glass of 'Poison Kiss'.

Archer watched as 'Ruby' tossed down her most recent glass of that dual colored cocktail and his Adam's apple bobbed as his eyes zeroed in on the small pink tongue that snaked out to lick her red lips before she turned to face him.

"So just to be clear on one point, you are the master of the house, right?"

"Mmm."

"You're the guy at the top, the one calling all the shots, running the business, raking in the cash, large and in charge..."

"Yes, yes. That's me."

Archer laughingly replied. Where on earth would he find another woman that would ask him such brazen questions without batting an eyelid?

"Okay. One more question then, your sister-in-law, when she married your brother, was there any kind of transaction? Do you owe her family something?"

Here, Archer frowned.

"No. When my brother and Sarah got married they were genuinely in love, there were no under the table transactions."

Isabel could sense a bit of chill in 'Sage's' tone when he spoke to defend his brother's relationship so she quickly rushed to assure him with her hands raised in a gesture of surrender.

"I'm just asking, I wasn't insinuating anything, alright."

Realizing that he had taken the question too personally, Archer nodded his head and sipped from his glass. Seeing that he had simmered down, Isabel put her hands down and spoke again.

"Then, I have one final question for you."

Seeing 'Sage' raised his eyes to look at her, a questioning look in those smoldering grey orbs, Isabel had to breathe to hold down the unwarranted anger and frustration boiling in her chest. Maybe it was the alcohol playing on her emotions, but she was unexpected taking this matter seriously.