Chapter 33

Just outside of Metropolis, there was a small farming village. In the past, the people who lived here made their living from supplying goods to the old South Market, but as the place fell into decline in recent years, depriving them of their way of living, the village population was also on the decline as the younger generations sought greener pastures, leaving behind only the older folks who found it hard to move, both physically and setimentally.

It was a little after eight in the night, but in this little village the residents had long gone to bed, so it was a quite startling when the boisterous roar of a car engine filled the air, causing the old folks to jump out of their beds and come out to see.

What they saw was a black car zooming down the dirt road at a frightening speed, looking as though it had no intentions of stopping, but as it came upon the large stone steps leading towards the old temple shrine, the tires screeched as the back of the car swung around, raising dust and dirt before coming to a complete stop.

Full of concern, yet fearful, the group of elderlies gathered around a distance away from the vehicle and only looked on while murmuring among themselves when door of the right side of the car opened and the crisp laughter of a woman rang through the night.

"You should see the look on your face."

Then the door on the left side opened and a man wearing a white dress shirt and grey pants with expensive looking shoes stepped down, a look of deep disapproval etched into his handsome features that were like the work of gods as he looked over the car's roof to whoever was on the other side.

"It's not funny."

Archer's heart was still racing and his shirt was sticking to his body from the cold sweat that broke out on him earlier.

He hadn't wanted her to drive because he could see that 'Ruby' was drunk, but the woman kept on insisting that she wasn't drunk and refused to let him drive, shoving him into the passenger seat and shutting the door, so he could only let her drive. But, he hadn't expected this crazy, street driving. He could only thank god that they were coming to the outskirts and not somewhere inside the city, she would have certainly caused an accident or gotten charged. He didn't even know what they were here for.

"It's a little bit funny." When those smiling golden eyes full of mischief peeked out from the other side of the car to look at him, Archer felt whatever anger he had magically melt away and he could only sigh.

"Can you at least tell me why we're here?"

"Oh look, the locals came out to greet us. Hello!"

She wasn't listening.

"Sorry for the disturbance!" Archer called out while waving at the group of elderly people in their sleep wear.

Seeing that it was a couple of good looking young people, these older generation obviously 'understood' and after waving back in good nature, turned to return to their homes. It was nice to be young.

Archer sighed in relief that the old folks didn't take them to task for making so much noise at this hour of the night and turned back to the wild little woman across the roof only to see two black objects flying towards him.

"Here, hold these."

Short of smacking him in his face, when Archer caught the two items and looked at them, he saw that they were a pair of high heels. He arched his brow then looked up when he heard the car door close only to see 'Ruby' running ahead of him, bare foot, up the large stairs to the temple.

"You're still standing there?" She called over her shoulder, her smile taunting, but she didn't slow down.

Seeing that he would be left behind if he didn't move soon, Archer could only shake his head and closed the car door before chasing after her with the shoes in his hands.