Cooking lessons with Simon Lewis

"SIMON, SIMON! WAKE UP!"

That's what Simon heard, first thing in the morning. Someone screaming in his ears and jumping on him. He knew who it was so he wasn't mad, it was just slightly (and he would never tell her that) annoying.

He turned around and saw Izzy, sat on top of him with her bright smile, even thought it was barely 10:00 o'clock in the morning.

"Good morning Iz. What are you doing here this early, not that I'm complaining" he said laughing.

"It's not early! It's fricking 10:00 AM! Usually I'd be training but not today! 'Cause tonight we're hosting and preparing the easter dinner!!"

"First of all I am sorry but you are not the world's best cook, -she was about to say something but he continued and said-, remember the time you tried to make linguini... you almost burned my eyebrows off. And second of all where do you want us to cook? To my knowledge there isn't a kitchen in this boathouse."

Izzy wasn't dumb, she knew she didn't have the best talents in making food but she had a plan. It was her turn to cook this year and as tradition she could't pass on it (even though each year they always finished by ordering pizza.)

"Okay Mr.Smartypants, well first of all if i'm that bad cooking why don't you teach me? And second of all there is a kitchen in the institute that barely anyone uses except Jace, Alec and I."

She waited for his answer and finally Simon got up and said: "Fine. I'll teach you my master cooking secrets". He got dressed and the next thing he knew he was on his way to the nearest food store.

------

"Okay, so what do you want to make?" Simon asked Izzy while they arrived the grocery store.

"Why not something super fancy like filet mignon with a tiramisu for dessert!"

"Maybe we should do many simpler things but that are still tasty, like a caesar salad for appetizer, with tortellinis as a main course and for dessert cupcakes or something like that."

"That sounds good! Did you have that already planned out?" Isabelle asked.

Simon took her hand and guided her towards the veggies section: "Maybe..."

------

They bought every ingredients they needed and went to the Institute. He had never been inside the kitchen and it was actually pretty big. But he could see that it wasn't used very often because a bunch of take-out boxes were left on the counter. He guessed that most Shadowhunters didn't usually want to cook after a big mission and ordering in or eating someplace else was easier.

Isabelle started unpacking the ingredients and organizing the different portions. Simon observed what she was doing and realized that she wasn't even using measuring cups and simply going like she thought was good enough.

"You're not going to use measuring instruments?"

"Why, I think that's about one cup of flour....or maybe I need a little more?"

"No, no, that's enough. I'm pretty sure you have 2 cups in this bowl" he said laughing and opening the cabinets to find the measuring cups.

After a couple of hours, everything was prepared, of course there were some minor setbacks because Izzy had forgotten to add something or simply to turn the oven on. But they did laugh a lot because Simon dropped the bowl of pastas in the sink and they had to make another batch. 

When they were setting the table Simon admitted to Isabelle that he had never done these recipes either.

"So you were teaching me things you weren't even sure yourself?"

"No... I was teaching you the basics to any recipes. Now you can be as good as me." He responded with a wink.

"Ohh Lewis. Why do I love you so much."

They added all the decorations and cutlery in the dining area and soon Alec, Magnus, Clary and Jace arrived.

"Doesn't smell like burned food, that's a good sign" Alec said while giving a hug to his sister.

"Guys don't worry Simon helped me this time!"

Jace looked at her and said: "That's supposed to make us feel better how exactly?"

Everyone bursted laughing except Simon. Magnus approached him and gave him a pat on the back "Oh my dear Simon, I'm sure you're an excellent cook, Jace is simply kidding."

"No I'm not."

-----

They all sat at the dining table and had casual conversations. Izzy and Simon served the plates on the table and everyone stopped talking. They all looked at each other while taking a bite of the pastas. At first it was silent but then Clary said:

"It's actually really good!"

"Were you doubting us Clary?"Simon responded with a fake surprised face.

"I would never" she said laughing.

Everyone enjoyed their meal and commenting on how good everything was. They laughed, joked and next thing they knew they had all finished their plates.

Suddenly someone knocked on the dining room door and entered. It was a Shadowhunter pizza delivery guy.

"What is a delivery guy doing here?" Izzy said looking at the group.

"He might have been our plan B, you know if the food wouldn't have been that great..." Alec said. He had absolutely forgotten that he and Jace had ordered a pizza because they were sure that dinner would be a mess.

"Oh you are so going to pay for that" she said while running after Alec and Jace.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Took me a long time to post this, sorry. Hope you liked it. I've had a lot of fun doing it. I'm also super excited for the next episode because Alec is going (hopefully) to move in with Magnus!!!