10| M a s o n

And if you feel you're sinking, I will jump right over
Into cold, cold water for you
And although time may take us into different places
I will still be patient with you
And I hope you know
I won't let go
I'll be your lifeline tonight

-Cold Water, Major Lazer, Justin Bieber,

-Cold Water, Major Lazer, Justin Bieber, MØ

10| Mason

Mason looked at Evelyn. Beads of sweat were running down the side of her face. They were inside the library, arranging a new collection of books as their punishment. After school, there was no AC and today Fallholt decided to be sunny.

Evelyn was talking about one book and looking at the shelf while nibbling on her nails. Her posture gave away that she was thinking about something. Ever since she had entered the library she was distracted. Mason had tried to spark up a conversation when he saw a favorite book but she didn't pay attention, just replied with 'oh's and 'hmm's.

Mason looked at the non-fictions in front of him. There were reasons why he always liked reading a biography. To his enjoyment, there was a new collection of biography books. Reading biography told him how different people looked at life from different angles and it fascinated him.

Mason looked up at Evelyn who had only filled up half a row in the shelf with books while pondering. So he picked up his pace and started helping her with the books or maybe they would have to spend the rest of the day here.

As much as Mason agreed with Evelyn that they needed to talk, he dreaded it. What if Evelyn started asking the questions he didn't want to answer? Would she hate him if she knew all of him?

Maybe Stellar was right. Maybe he really was a lava brewing volcano waiting to explode. First, it was guilt that kept him awake at night with nightmares. Time flew and the guilt turned to regrets, then to disbelief, to anger. That was the time when Mason started with punching bags, punching until he saw blood in his knuckles until he felt numb. He would go on running until his feet could take it no more, soaking in sweat. The muscles started showing here and there and his appearance changed. People started looking at him as a new person.

But did Mason change? Wasn't he the same person all along?

Maybe he was so good at pretending to be someone else, that his once best friend now thought that he didn't care about anything.

Mason looked at Evelyn standing in the right corner looking at the shelf. She looked at him and he nodded. They met their discipline teacher on the librarian corner. Then he let them out.