40| E v e l y n

So baby pull me closer in the backseat of your Rover
That I know you can't afford
Bite that tattoo on your shoulder
Pull the sheets right off the corner
Of the mattress that you stole
From your roommate back in Boulder
We ain't ever getting older

-Closer, The Chainsmokers, Halsey

40| Evelyn

Evelyn had fallen asleep again in the car. She remembered having Raine on her left and James on her right. She remembered being in motion with the car moving. Now somehow it had stopped. Evelyn yawned and opened her eyes. All she could see was dark. She looked around and found herself in the shotgun, her seat belt buckled up.

Evelyn yawned loudly stretching her arms and unbuckled her seatbelt. She was supposed to be in the backseat. Then she remembered someone moving her while she had groaned and went back to sleep. It must be Mason. He was not in the car.

Evelyn opened the car door and stepped outside. She blinked a few times to adjust her eyes. She looked around and recognized the place. She was up in the hill where she and Mason used to go all the time. She spotted Mason sitting by with his hands on knees, his jacket lay on the grass.

As Evelyn stepped closer, she could see the view. From up there, the houses had vanished in the dark but the lights of the town were twinkling like stars.

"It's beautiful," Evelyn said sitting beside him.

"I thought you won't wake up. I was considering splashing water in your face," Mason commented looking at the view. He looked peaceful. All the city lights illuminated his face. Evelyn's breath turned unsteady looking at him.

"I thought you were taking me home," Evelyn said.

"Oh yes, your dad had threatened me if I don't return you home before 12, I will be five feet under the ground," Mason said smiling.

"What can I say," Evelyn shrugged.

"You are your dad's little Cinderella," Mason said.

"And what are you? That mice who were in the carriage or Cinderella's chaffeur?"

"Mean," Mason nudged her shoulder with his. Evelyn laughed.

Mason was looking at her face still with that smile. Evelyn swallowed. He started leaning towards her a little. Evelyn did the same.

It's happening. It's happening.
Evelyn's inner voice squealed.

There were merely any distance left between when Mason stood up abruptly. "I have forgotten something in the car," He said.

Evelyn sat straight in a fraction of second, "Oh."

Mason had walked towards the car. Evelyn closed her fist. Inside her mind the cussing started.