27| E v e l y n ( Part 3)

Tell me how we're not alike
But we work so well
And We don't even know why
Funny how the star crossed right
But we work so well
And we don't even know why
You can call it fire and ice
Cause we work so well 
And we don't even know why.

- Why, Sabrina Carpenter 

27| Evelyn (Part 3)

Everything seemed quieter after the confession to her own self. Evelyn heard the wind rustling against the window. The weather was so different from New York, it reminded Evelyn more of home every time. She knew there would be no snow this winter here.

Evelyn sat up and looked around the mess she had made. Her tears had trickled down the side of her cheek and dried there. They were falling effortlessly now. Evelyn was not even trying to stop. Maybe letting out would feel better.

The bedroom door creaked open and Evelyn looked up. Dad stood in the doorway looking down at Evelyn with his eyes wide.

This four years living with dad, he had never once come up to Evelyn's room to check until it was extremely necessary. It never was extreme for him. Evelyn remembered having anxiety attacks, sleepless nights with hours of crying, but never had he come up to check up on her, until recently.

What was he doing here today?

Evelyn knew there was nothing to hide from him. It was already too late. Evelyn's room was an absolute mess and so was she. Her t-shirt was soaked in tears and her eyes were puffy. He could see right through her if he wanted.

Dad stared at Evelyn. Evelyn's lips trembled in emotions. She was trying so hard to contain the sob that was threatening to come out of her throat.

Moments later, he closed the door and walked away.

What did Evelyn expect? Years of indifference couldn't change in a single moment. He said he was trying. Evelyn couldn't tell how.

The tears streamed like a fountain anyways. Now it had a newfound reason to. Evelyn didn't try to stop.

The door opened again. Evelyn didn't look up this time. His footsteps came nearer and a tissue box was passed to Evelyn's way. She glanced up. Evelyn's dad sat down on the floor, few feet away from her with his head hung low.

Evelyn's eyes found a resolution to spill even harder. She sobbed while shaking. She took the tissues with her trembling hands trying to wipe the tears away but it didn't work. Emotions had gone override just in the sight of  her father.

Evelyn couldn't tell how long she cried, until Dad's one arm closed around her shoulder. Evelyn shook in tears with her head in his shoulder.

"How about Japanese for dinner?" Dad asked after a moment.

Evelyn nodded yes. "I'll order Sushi."

Evelyn wiped the last tears away with the tissues he brought. Dad stood up.

"You want anything else?" He asked.

Evelyn nodded. She looked up at him. "Chocolate."

She figured she sounded like a little girl asking her dad for chocolate.

Dad smiled.

Evelyn stared at him. Evelyn rarely saw him smiling, only sometimes when his team won football matches. Now he was smiling down at Evelyn. He looked younger. He was younger than any of Evelyn's friend's dad. He had Evelyn when he was a college freshman, earlier than any dad.