28| M a s o n

Hey, never thought, never thought
I'd be holding your hand
Picking up, picking up, picking up my confidence
When you're making those moves, eh (Those moves)
I don't know what to do, yeah (To do)

- Unbelievable, Why Don't We

28| Mason

Mason opened his eyes and closed them again as the abusive sunlight hit him on his face. He groaned loudly and sat up. It was quite a morning and he had school. He hated school, just like everybody else.

But that also meant he would see Evelyn.

Mason could feel that something had changed among them. He couldn't tell what it was. That day, Evelyn had asked about his relationship, she was curious to know if he liked anyone.

The answer he had in his mind was obvious. And he wanted to say it on her face.

"Yes, of course, there is. It's you." Mason could have said. But he didn't. He knew better.

Or he could have said, "There is a girl." Just to see the expression on her face, to see how she reacted. But he knew better.

Then everything around them changed. She didn't roll her eyes at him anymore. She didn't punch him when he blurted out a thing or two. She became quite and stressed and they couldn't talk. The air turned awkward. Mason hated it.

They would start again. Today. And Mason would make sure everything was back like it was again.

But it was hard considering the fact that he had already surrendered to himself, surrendered to his feelings, that he liked her. And he knew he didn't only like her. It was more than just like. He wanted Evelyn to feel the same way as he felt towards her. He wanted it very bad.

Mason showered and changed and got ready for school. He made to the building where they had breakfast with his backpack slung on his back.

There was a guest in the house. He could tell as he entered the living room. Carolina was sitting on the sofa, laughing at something the other person had said. When she saw him, she stopped. the guest looked his way.

He hated the guest.

Landon Stewart looked as he always did. He had the same brown hair as Mason, the same blue eyes like him. He was as tall as Mason. Mason's dad, Louis and Landon shared the same gene. Mason had inherited the same genes from his father. He liked how he looked like his dad. He hated how he looked like his uncle.

"Why is he here?" Mason said making his face hard, his expression showing pure annoyance.

Mason never liked his uncle. For him, money is the most precious thing in the world. Mason's dad and him, they had a rough childhood. They had to work hard to be here today. But Landon never grew out generous. His only goal in life was to earn money.