5. Confession

It's nearly been a week since he downloaded Tinder, and Brendon hasn't felt this awake in years.

Although he's at the retirement home again today, he isn't looking so grim. He sits next to his mother, Cash Cab on the television but he's too caught up in texting Josh to pay attention to the show.

Since talking for six days, Josh had decided he would give Brendon his phone number. Having to go on the app every time he wanted to text him had become a struggle, and Brendon was happy with that decision.

He even had Tyler's number, too.

They haven't had an actual conversation yet, but he had it.

It was really nice having someone to talk to, someone you can converse lightly with and not have something blow up in your face.

Brendon supposed that's why he's having such a good time talking with Josh.

He's so scared of reactions, and since he has such a hard time getting his points across, people could always take what he said the wrong way. One of his biggest fears is upsetting people, and he's sure that's why he struggles to meet new people and just talking to people in general.

Meeting someone online has so much ease to it, there was nothing to gauge except words.

Brendon was doing well.

"I need to use the bathroom." Grace pipes up, the son is not pleased with that.

"Alright. . ."

He sets his phone down on the couch once standing, helping his mother up as well. They drag their feet to the bathroom, Grace pulling down her pants and carefully sitting on the toilet.

Brendon clears his throat, turning his back because seeing his mom like this is unsettling.

He knows he should be used to it by now, she's been like this for years, and yet he can't stand invading her privacy although she couldn't care less, she doesn't have it in her to care.

They paused Cash Cab, it's quiet and Brendon crosses his arms.

He can't help but think about why everything had to land on him; he has four other siblings and yet he somehow is the only one who can-- who is willing-- to go through the torment of helping their mother through her difficulties.

They can't bare to see her like this but Brendon has to witness it every weekend.

He hates everything.

His siblings are all grown. Kyla is pregnant and Mason, Matt, and Kara already have kids, who never get to see their uncle because of how selfish their parents are.

They're going to regret not visiting.

If something ever happens, they're going to despise themselves.

They're going to feel so much regret, and that's no one's fault except their own.

"Mom?" He asks, she's been in there for a while.

When he turns around again, he sees her spinning the toilet paper in circles, never grabbing the end of it.

"Mom," he sighs, walking over and getting a decent amount of toilet paper for her.

Grace grabs it, eyebrows nearly furrowed. She looks at it in her hand and then fiddles with it. Brendon doesn't understand what's happening, he watches her look at the toilet paper like she's never seen it before, and suddenly, Brendon's heart hurts.

"Y-you need to wipe. . ."

Grace nods.

Brendon's lips twitch into a smile, thank God.