17. Affinity

The rain is sweet this time of morning, while the sun shines and the puddles form.

Brendon has coffee in hand as he steps out of his car, making way into the tall building he sees nearly every day of the week. He crosses his arms tightly over his chest, coat thick and scarf covering his mouth so the rain couldn't pester him too much.

January weather is odd.

He sniffles when walking inside, pulling his scarf down and taking another sip of coffee as he waits for the elevator.

Thankfully, no one comes in with him this time.

Brendon does, though, feel his phone vibrate. He knows who it is, it's the only person who texts him regularly.

He smiles, slipping his phone out to read Josh's message.

Hey! I was wondering if you might want to grab lunch with me today. Tyler would come, but they're busy.

Pretty please.

Brendon bites his cheek, sighing. He always wants to spend time with Josh, but he only gets half an hour for lunch, and it's in the breakroom. He would have to ask for a longer lunch, and stay past hours if he really wanted to go.

He does.

I'd have to ask for a longer lunch but I'm sure I can figure out.

Where at?

The elevator stops. He walks out, never looking up from his phone as he passes all the cubicles. He knows where he needs to go.

I'm feeling Chinese.

Brendon doesn't eat Chinese often unless he's stoned, and really craving takeout.

We can go to that one buffet?

That sounds awesome.

He doesn't care much about the food, he's just happy knowing he'll get to spend time with Josh. It hasn't even been a week but his smile is contagious, and his heart is warm. Brendon enjoys being around him.

I'll text you in a bit. I've gotta see what time I can get.

Alright. I'll be here.

He slides his phone back into his pocket, sitting his coffee down and beginning to take layers off because it's warm enough inside. He lays his coat and scarf on the back of his rolling chair.

"Morning, Brendon." Lukas says.

The latter keeps his smile. "Good morning." He sits, scooting back to see him over the wall in between their areas. "I don't think I'm going to be here for lunch today."

Lukas fake frowns. "What's tearing us apart?"

"I think I'm, uh, meeting up with someone." Brendon shifts.

This isn't bad news, not at all. The frown disappears and instead is replaced with a smirk.

"Ooh, I see." Luke does a small dance with his shoulders, playful and supportive. "I get it. I'll be fine, in the breakroom, without you, all alone, eating my ramen." He lets out a dramatic sigh, the back of hand pressed against his forehead.

"I'm sorry." Brendon chuckles quietly.

"It's okay." Lukas shrugs, rolling his eyes. "Just don't make it a habit. I don't think I could last more than a day."