11. Empirical

Brendon had barely been able to drink the coffee Josh bought for him. If it was any other time, the coffee would have nearly been finished by now but at the moment he could only take small sips.

He found it hard to stomach anything when both Josh and Tyler never took their eyes off him.

Brendon knew eye contact was important when it comes to making a connection, but the only connection Brendon has ever had was with anxiety, so this was new for him.

Everything is new for him.

He keeps accidentally touching Tyler's foot underneath the table because of how much he's bouncing, and each time they subtly tilt their head. Brendon bites his lip, he can't imagine how Tyler might be taking this, and in reality, he doesn't want to.

So he doesn't, and instead he focuses on Josh.

Josh talks; he talks a lot, and it's sweet.

He's been running his mouth the majority of the hour and Brendon hasn't had a reason to be upset about it, he's not sure he can after he helped him the other day during his breakdown. Josh's voice is what rescued him that day, and to be irritated by it now was seemingly impossible.

He spoke like he was writing scarlet letters and the small lisp that followed made Brendon smile.

Brendon could already tell Tyler felt the same way just by the pure adoration on their face each time they looked his way.

"Josh," they say, interrupting him.

Brendon wasn't exactly paying attention to what Josh has been saying, he was too focused on keeping himself steady.

Josh looks to Tyler, eyebrows furrowed.

"I have to head back to work."

Brendon didn't know they came from work. He frowns.

Did they really spend this whole time meeting him instead of getting work done?

He feels bad.

Josh nods, sliding out of the booth when Tyler nudges him. All Brendon can think about is whether or not Josh had work as well, and if they had both wasted their day with him.

The two of them stand. Still, Brendon is surprised that Tyler is taller than Josh.

He doesn't know why he expected them to be shorter, but seeing them beside Josh, it seems odd. He wraps his arms around their waist and pulls them close so he can tuck his head in the crook of their neck and wish them goodbye.

Brendon glances, his Adam's apple bobbing.

If their relationship continues he can't be so nervous when Tyler and Josh are affectionate, they have all the right to be; they're married, Brendon needs to remember this isn't an every day relationship they're trying to start, it's alternative.

Tyler kisses Josh's forehead. "I love you."

"I love you too." He says. They pull away from one another.

Tyler looks to the side. "Bye, Brendon. It was nice to finally meet you in person."

He nods quickly. "Yeah, yeah, definitely." He mutters, pursing his lips into an awkward smile afterwards.

Tyler kisses Josh one more time before leaving, waving Brendon goodbye.

Josh doesn't sit down until he watches Tyler leave and get into the car safely. "So," he starts once it's only he and Brendon. "What's really making you nervous." He doesn't seem upset or stern even, just curious.