28. Verbal

Lunch went well, and it's nearly shocking.

Yes, Brendon never finished his food because the ache in his stomach wasn't agreeing, and yes, his heart never slowed down since they got there, but it didn't matter. He had to pretend the table they sat at was full seclusion, because now is his time to spend with Tyler and Josh, and he shouldn't hold himself back by the fear that people beside them would be listening.

He tries his hardest to let loose.

After a while of sneaking Jim food under the table, Josh notices too. Tyler probably did as well, but he already knows they wouldn't say anything even though Brendon definitely shouldn't be doing it.

"Brendon," Josh had scolded him.

He blushes, and nonetheless stops. He's sure Jim got enough, anyways.

It's not long before the three of them are finished, Brendon getting a to-go box, and Tyler not leaving without giving the waitress one last dirty glare.

They walk side, by side, by side, it works out and Tyler does lend Brendon the lint roller like they said they would once reaching their car. In the meantime, while he cleans all the hair from his slacks, Josh is pouring Jim some water into a small portable dog bowl.

"He was supposed to go home and have lunch but I'm not sure he should anymore because of all the food you gave him." Josh laughs, petting the dog's head as he drinks.

Brendon frowns. "I'm sorry."

He shakes his head. "It's alright. We've just been trying to teach him not to take food from the table and stuff, so you doing that is going to confuse him."

Brendon understands. He nods, giving Tyler the lint roller back mindlessly. "Yeah. Sorry. I won't do it again."

Maybe.

Jim finishes drinking the water, and Josh helps him into the backseat after getting a few good scratches behind his ear as a goodbye. Everyone is departing; Tyler and Josh hug him at the same time. Again, Tyler's pressed behind him, and again, Brendon's in the middle between the two of them.

"See you soon." Josh mutters.

He then chuckles when noticing Tyler's looking directly at him. Facing him over Brendon's shoulder.

Still, they're towering over both of them.

Josh and Tyler kiss, too, right in Brendon's ear, and it's enough for him to want to pull away. He does, clearing his throat and tugging at the skin of his knuckles again. "See you soon." He mumbles back, staring at them both for a moment before walking away in a rush.

He's not sure why them being demonstrative makes him so shook up, but it does. The constant feeling to flee from the situation settles every time, and really, it shouldn't. They're married. In love. Have been together for countless years. Something simple like kissing shouldn't shake him up, but it does. It will. It has.

He still cannot wrap him mind around the entire idea that both of them are perfectly fine being with another person, doing the same with them as they do with each other. Kissing, touching, hugging-- even fucking.

Brendon doesn't understand.

He's scared of that. Scared of what's to come, because it's only a matter of time before they're doing the same with him.

It's already started. Touching. Hugging. He knows things are coming, and he also knows he's not ready. He needs to talk to them, like Josh said he could, he's just not sure when.

Brendon thinks about this on the way back to work.

***

Wednesday afternoon is a lot different than any typical one. Brendon and Luke sit together in the breakroom, both with Cup 'O Noodle and a drink, conversation light enough to get through. It's fine, normal, casual, until Ryan and Ryland pull up seats and ask: "Would it be okay if we sat here?"