23. Sunshine

Brendon hadn't woken up the entire night, not for the restroom nor because Jim kept moving around the airmattress to try and get comfortable. Brendon didn't even need to get Josh or Tyler for anything, because unlike the dog, he slept well. More than well.

Once the sun was up, he thought he might have heard Tyler and Josh coming down from the stairs, maybe them talking to one another softly in the kitchen, he isn't sure.

It wouldn't matter, anyways. His eyes couldn't stay open; he falls right back asleep.

***

It takes longer than it should for Brendon to process Tyler saying his name repeatedly.

"Brendon," they whisper.

He thinks he might be dreaming. He doesn't make any move or motion to reply, comfortably snuggled into the pillow and blanket. Jim is long gone by now, he guesses he left awhile ago to visit his owners instead.

"Brendon," Tyler mumbles again.

Still, he doesn't acknowledge them.

It's not until Tyler's hand reaches his shoulder and their voice rises, "Brendon." Where his head finally shoots up, being shaken gently from his sleep.

"Hmm?" He moans, eyes blinking open tiredly.

"Jesus christ, I thought I was gonna have to jump on you or something." They chuckle through the nose, standing up tall and looking down at him on the bed. "It's time to get up. Breakfast is ready; French toast."

Brendon yawns, stretching his arms over his head. "I'm so fucking tired," he grumbles.

"Too bad." Tyler states, pulling the blanket away from him.

Brendon groans loudly, huddling into himself for warmth.

"Why," He's being dramatic, he knows this.

"The food's going to get cold, come on." They explain. When Brendon looks up, Tyler has their hand reaching out for him, and suddenly, he doesn't feel the need to stay in bed any longer.

He grabs onto their hand and they help him up easily, Brendon already missing the comfort of the airmatress.

Tyler's hand is better, though.

It's gone as soon as it starts, Tyler instead leading him into the kitchen, where everything smells sweet. Josh is at the counter making plates for the three of them, and Jim is at the corner of the dining room, eating away at his own breakfast.

"Good morning, sleeping beauty." Josh laughs as Brendon walks in sluggishly.

It's too early to blush. Brendon sighs, shaking his head. "Good morning."

"How many pieces of French toast do you want?" Josh asks.

He's too exhausted to think straight, he shrugs. "A few."

Seemingly, he understands, placing at the most, three pieces onto his plate. His hair is a mess, but a good mess, and Brendon bites off the smile on his face because he'd been waiting specifically for this.

Tyler moves away from Brendon's side and instead behind their husband, helping make plates. Their hand runs under his shirt and rubs his tailbone in soft circles, chin on his shoulder.