20. Practice

Brendon missed breakfast at the retirement home, he instead comes nearly half an hour before lunch.

Sometimes he thinks about plugging his nose before he goes into his mother's room, but that seems a little absurd and disrespectful. The smell of cinnamon spice isn't horrible, what's horrible is what the smell started meaning to him.

It's awful.

"You feeling lunch today?" He asks his mother once the time comes, sticking a hand into his back pocket absentmindedly. 

She looks up from the television, blankets bundled over her shoulders and eyes in a squint. "Mhm." she nods.

Brendon is relieved, not wanting to drive to another fast food chain again.

He helps his mother with her shoes and gets her into one of her many sweaters, making sure she kept warm. Grace had the tendency to become cold very quickly, especially when it was a chilly time of the year like now.

They head out of her room and begin making their way downstairs. There's already many people at every table, but, of course, Carina has saved a spot for the two of them.

She always does.

Grace sits down on her own once they reach the table, Brendon stays standing, though, watching Carina get up from her seat to bring him into an embrace.

It's strong. Loving. "Are you feeling any better?" She whispers.

He almost doesn't understand what she means, then he remembers what happened last weekend. It was easy enough to say he's feeling so, so much better now. The simplest of things like Josh being so prudent and then hugging Tyler made every tear from the weekend before mean nothing.

Brendon smiles. "So much better."

Carina pulls away, just as happy. "I'm so glad." They sit after this, side by side.

A worker comes by with a cart full of beverages. Brendon gets coffee, as always, his mom getting the same.

Grace and her friend have a steady conversation soon enough. Brendon had learned she's rather quiet like him nowadays, only tending to nod and hum mostly, totally in her own world.

She can't help it.

"Since you're feeling better," Carina starts, leaning into him. "Wanna tell me about the dinner you and Josh had?"

Brendon bites down on the tip of his tongue, nodding, hands tense.

"Well, uh, I learned that he has a dog." He mutters.

Carina's eyes light up. "What kind?"

Lips turning upwards, he says, "A golden retriever. His name is Jim."

She's giddy. Brendon knew how much she loves dogs. Well, animals in general. Her mom had a few cats in her room and Carina had many animals at her apartment. Guinea pigs, fish, and even a few rats. He wanted to meet them sometime, he'll have to ask.

"You need to send me pictures next time!" She exclaims.

Brendon's gaze falls, ignoring eye contact. "I actually went over there again yesterday."

Carina gasps. She is always smiling so wide. "Brendon!"

He's fighting off the grin on his face, looking back up at her, pink cheeks.

"You have to tell me what all happened." She isn't pushing, it's complete and utter excitement for her best friend.

Carina is sweeter than candy.