25. Honesty

Brendon searched through his cabinets as soon as he could will himself out of bed the next morning. He had to make sure he was ready for tonight. He had to make sure he knew what he would be making for dinner; and after a long search and only coming up with few ingredients despite having gone grocery shopping just last week, he decides to make spaghetti.

Yes, Tyler made it the first time he came over, but it's really the only thing he has to make, and it's one of the only things he's good at making.

It works as well as it can.

By three, it's when he starts feeling anxious again.

He tries to remind himself everything would be okay, because Tyler said so, and he feels alright putting trust in them. Still, though, it's not enough to calm him down. Tyler can't predict the future-- no matter how wonderful that would be-- they can only hope for the best. Brendon knows that's what he does himself in any situation, but hope seems to be failing him now.

It's not long before he's sitting outside on one of the old benches in front of the apartment complex, taking long hits of his wax pen, and watching a moving truck pull up.

Brendon, as per usual, observes.

Once the truck is parked, a woman with blonde hair pulled into a pony tail and a loose-fitting white tank top comes from the driver's side.

She goes around the truck and lifts the back end, a big smile pulling at her cheeks.

He's confused for a moment, but that's before seeing a little boy stand at the end of the truck, reaching out for her with grabby hands and a smile just as wide as hers.

Almost instinctively, Brendon takes one last hit before tucking his pen away in his sweater pocket.

These must be the new neighbors.

The woman holds the boy at her side, bouncing him up and down a few times before looking up at someone else, who hops down onto the cement. It's a man who seems about her age, Brendon guessed they're in their early twenties.

They seem like friends more than lovers, she's thanking him.

He loses focus fast, not bothered. They seemed nice enough, but really, anything was nicer than his old neighbors.

It's then when his phone vibrates, reminding him of why he was out here clearing his head in the first place.

Strangely, it isn't surprising this time to see Tyler's name instead of Josh's.

Hey. When should we come over?

Brendon looks at the time, frowning when he realizes he's been out here for nearly an hour. It didn't feel that long, no, not at all. Maybe his reoccurring thoughts consume him more than he'd like to admit.

Six would be good.

It will give me time to cook.

It's been a while since he's made an actual meal, and not one with directions from a box. He's afraid of messing up something as simple as spaghetti, but he needs to fucking deal with bumps in the road.

Okay. See you then.

Send your address, yeah?

He does, and afterwards, slips his phone back into the pocket of his jeans.

It takes a moment before Brendon finally notices the small feet in front of him. He slowly but surely lifts his head up from his lap, the little boy looking at him with big brown eyes. He smiles at Brendon, playing with his fingers and shuffling his feet.