22. Dreaming

Friday comes faster than Brendon expected. Before he knows it, he's waiting impatiently at noon, trying to decide what to do in the meantime. He finds himself in this exact situation every time Friday comes around.

If he was going to his mom's, he'd pack a bag full of everything he would need for the weekend, but he's only going to be their house for one night, and he definitely didn't want to bring a bag full of everything he needed at the retirement home to Tyler and Josh's, because they'd have questions he isn't willing to answer.

He'll come back to the apartment tomorrow morning to grab everything.

For now, he passes the time by rearranging his record collection, maybe getting a little high too.

***

Brendon leaves early once more, his excuse is to beat any traffic on the way, but truthfully, he just wants to see Josh and Tyler already. His cinnamon graham crackers sit in the passengers seat the whole ride there, he's ready to eat s'mores. It's been so long.

By the time he arrives, the sun has nearly settled once more. There's a cold breeze, but no rain, thankfully. He'll just have to keep warm by the fire.

Brendon takes a few deep breaths as he gets out of his car, crackers in hand when walking across the small path leading to their door.

This is a routine he could get used to.

His knuckles hit the door a few times, softly. Jim, of course, still picks up on this and barks immediately, his roaring voice getting closer the longer he stands there.

This time, Tyler opens the door.

"Hey," they mutter, leaning down a bit to hold Jim so he wouldn't run outside.

"Hey." Brendon smiles.

"Come in." Is all they say, walking away from the door and letting Brendon close it himself once he's inside. He watches them walk into the livingroom, deciding to follow suit after a few moments, Jim right at his side with a fast wagging tail.

"Where's Josh?" He asks when seeing his lack of presence.

Tyler's sitting crisscrossed in the corner of the couch. "Him and Jim just came back from a run. He's showering."

Brendon hums, carefully sitting down as well, leaving plenty of space between the two of them. He sees Tyler grab a notebook beside them, opening it to a certain page that seemed to have a lot written in it.

They pull out the pen tucked between the pages, hand leaning down to carry on where they had left off.

Brendon dismisses this, alternately observing them like he always does.

Tonight, they're comfortable. It makes sense. They're wearing gray sweatpants and a thin white top, which really wasn't hiding anything at all. He could see practically everything, and that thought alone makes him look away, boring his eyes into the television instead.

It's a show he's never seen, he forces himself to find interest.

He pets Jim too, who's laying beside him on the couch.

This is alright. The silence isn't dreadful. The sound of Tyler's pen working against the paper is soothing in a way, and so is the small noises Jim makes simply because he's pleased. He could also hear the shower running, which reassured him that Josh would be around soon.

Tyler pauses, looking up from their notebook momentarily, eyes glued to Brendon.

Their head tilts.

They continue writing.

Brendon purses his lips, Tyler likes to examine him a lot he's noticed.

"What are you writing about?" He questions quietly.