29. Steps

Ryland and Ryan don't sit with Luke and Brendon on Thursday or Friday, and it's okay, no one expected it to happen. Debby's back, which means the barrier between them is as well.

Brendon's been quiet this past week. Quieter than normal, at least. Usually, he'd have a nice discussion during lunch with Luke, but recently, he barely opens his mouth. He knows why, and he also knows he probably shouldn't keep to himself because in the long run, it's going to tear him down; he's just not used to having people besides Carina there for him when he needs it.

Truthfully, Luke really is just his friend at work. Brendon could never see himself spending time with him outside of here. He isn't sure whether Luke feels the same way or not, but because he himself feels that way, it's enough to stay closed off.

He doesn't speak very often this week because today is Friday, and tomorrow is Saturday. A day-- a weekend he has been dreading.

He'd like to tell Luke, but he already knows he'd ask why he is so worried, and that's a question he isn't willing to answer.

So, Brendon stays quiet, and Luke tries his best to keep the flow steady.

It's works as well as it can.

***

When Brendon comes home from work, Hayley and Jack are outside for no particular reason, it seems. They sit at the bench Brendon sat at when they first introduced themselves, Jack playing with a few monster truck toys while his mother talks on the phone.

He tries to pass by unnoticed, but that was proven impossible. Jack lights up at the sight of him, jumping off the seat and running towards Brendon.

"Hello!" He exclaims, nose and cheeks pinched red. It's chilly.

Brendon gulps, looking down at him. "Uh, hi."

"Can I tell you a secret?" Jack then asks, a lot quieter than before. Must be serious.

Brendon glances over to Hayley, who sees her son with him and is trying to get off the phone as quickly as possible to join them. Maybe scold Jack again, he seems to run off a lot.

He looks back down, nodding.

Jack smiles in return, gesturing Brendon with a wave to come down to his height, which he does do. The boy comes close, cupping a hand around his ear and says, "I asked Momma if we can make you cookies, and she said yes. She told me not to tell you, but I have no one else to tell!" He pulls away after that, looking up at Brendon with big eyes.

He has a soft spot for kids, it's no secret.

"Well, now it's not a surprise." He mutters, pursing his lips.

Jack frowns, crossing his arms over his chest. "You still want the cookies, don't you?"

Brendon doesn't even need to think about it. "You're right, I do."

"Mhm, that's what I thought." He nods, all-knowing. "What's your favorite?"

Brendon shrugs. "Chocolate chip."

Jack's brows pull together at the information, arms still crossed, and still holding a bit of spunk to them. "Chocolate chip? Aren't grown ups supposed to like the gross weird stuff like. . . Raisin?"