Dance your heart out

If you keep reading, this book gets so much better.

_____________________________________________________________

I brushed my auburn hair out of my face, and look up. Sweat dripped down my face as I slid my feet into the finishing position of the dance we'd be doing at the concert. Our dance company had been hired for it, and I had been downgraded to a background dancer. I'd be hearing why soon, I could tell.

"Alright ladies, good job today! See you tomorrow, then friday night we have a show! After that you have vacation!" said coach Pemberly. Danielle looked at me from across the room, her eyes telling me to come with her, and we both walked towards the door.

"Val, I need to speak with you" coach yells. Aww man... 

"Valerie, sweetie, you have missed practice the maximum amount of times our dance company allows," Coach smiled at me, with fake, bored concern smothering her pretty face.

"I'm sorry to say but if you miss practice, one more time, even tomorrow, even for whatever the circumstances, then I'm afraid you're terminated from the company. Please, we would hate to lose someone as talented as you."

Fake concern. Fake. Fake hair. She needs to get her roots redone... 

"See you tomorrow, Valerie. Got it?"

"Yes coach" 

I turned around to see Danielle sitting my the door, texting. Well, at least she waited. 

"What was that about?" Danielle pondered.

"Uh, I can't miss Dance again, or else I'm fired." I said nonchalantly. 

"Um, Bon? If you get fired, I quit." Danielle said putting her phone away, walking down the hall of the studio with me.

"No you can't do that just for me Dani. Anyway, what are we doing tonight?"

We walked out onto the street. For once the sun was shining in London. I loved the rain though. 

"Well, Liam just got back from the tour, and he invited me, meaning you too, to go bowling with the boys." 

As we climbed into a cab, I wondered if it was worth going. Liam was the best ever. He was like the brother I never had. It was a plus that he and Danielle were madly in love. I had to hear everyday while he was on tour how much she missed him. Oh yeah, Liam's in a boy band, One direction. It seems weird how he's an international popstar and that girls have pictures of his face taped on their walls. In case you're wondering, yes, I've met the other four, unfortunately. Danielle lives with Liam, and they're always there. I'm always there too, but for Danielle. Besides, I have a boyfriend, Michael. He's alright, kind of a tool, really overprotective, but he means well. He's the reason I've been MIA at dance. Not that I really care. Dance just isn't as great at it was before I was shipped off to dance school at age ten. That's when it became work. Anyway...

"Vaaaaaaallllllerrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeee......."

"Uh yeah um what?"

"It's at seven. Come on over let's get ready. We've got two hours."

"Do I have to?"

"Yeah. You do. You can even bring Michael. See how much you need to be there?" 

Danielle and Liam thought that Michael wasn't good for me. I mean sure he has friends who aren't the safest, and he can get frustrated easily, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a chance.

"All right I'll call him up."

We drove up to Danielle and Liam's building. They wouldn't be home, instead they'd meet us at the alley. Danielle jammed the top floor button on the elevator. Benefits of living and dating a popstar- penthouse apartment. She fumbled with the keys in the lock, and finally pushed the door open. I loved their apartment. It had skylights, letting light pour in, with big, as in a whole football team could sit on one of them, couches, and a white kitchen with seats at the counter. It was all open. It even had stairs, and a loft bedroom upstairs, that Dani and Liam used. I practically lived in the guest room. I'm pretty sure most of my clothes, and valuables, are there. I haven't really settled in with Michael. None of my stuff was at my house. I had been there for a week, and only slept there for two days. Dani takes good care of me though. I'm sure now that Liam and the boys are home, I should go home more often. 

"Valerrrrieee, Come here, what shirt should I wear?"

She was holding up a gold, revoltingly sparkly top, and a pretty lavender off the shoulder shirt with a heart in the middle. I don't even have to tell you which one I told her to wear. She paired it with some torn up white jeans, some jewelry, and some black boots. Then she set to work on me. I let her curl and tease and yank and pull my hair until it looked what she thought was stunning; I wouldn't know she wouldn't let me look. She worked various pencils and palettes and sticks on my face. I needed it though, I wasn't nearly as pretty as Danielle. I wasn't nearly as kind, or funny, or as good as dancing. Nor do I have as great a boyfriend, or as swanky an apartment. It's not like I care that I'm sub par though. Whatever. 

"Here, ok so the jean skirt and a long-sleeve white shirt, and ballet flats, OOOR- the dark jeans and a white and baby blue striped shirt, with lace up chestnut colored booties, personally I prefer the-"

"Second one. I do too."

"This is why we're best friends! Ok babe now go change," and with that she pushed me into a closet. I tugged the shirt over my head, slipped the skirt on, stole some socks and put the boots on. I checked the room for mirrors. Wow she's good, not even a vaguely reflective surface in sight. Bummer.

"Ok, Dani how do I-"

"OH MY GOOOOOOOOWD!" she screeched. 

She spun me around to face the mirror. The blue in the shirt brought my green blue eyes out, and contrasted with my dark copper hair. Damn, I looked ok for once. Danielle still stole the show. That's fine though, tonights about her. We chatted aimlessly about best friend stuff like what we would do if we were asked to be a spy, and stuff of that nature. Pretty soon we were right out side the bowling alley. I was so glad to see Liam again, but I dreaded having to face the other boys. 

"C'mon, earth to Valerie, lets go!"

She was squealing. I wish I could videotape this. Oh how terribly exited she was to see Liam. I was yanked through the door, to have Danielle pulled from me into a gigantic hug from none other than Liam. It was too cute for words. You would have thought they hadn't seen each other in ages. I want a love like that, some day. Michael wouldn't be here for at least another hour, speaking of love. No, I didn't love him. Nor did he love me. Then it struck me- why was I even dating him? I didn't get to ponder this for long, because Liam picked me up and spun me around

"I missed you Valerie! I've heard you've basically moved in," He joked.

"Yup, just couldn't get enough of you two. Also Danielle missed you so much I just couldn't leave her"

I was dropped and he went back to hug Danielle again. This is my family. Danielle and Liam are like the parents who I haven't seen much of since I was ten. The moment was bliss. Then, I saw them. They came lumbering about, joking and laughing. I cringed, in preparation of this. Liam knew they weren't my favorite, but him and Dani were always trying to change my mind. Trying to avoid them, I decided to open my mouth.

"Hey Li, we need some shoes. Also why are we the only ones here?"

"We might have rented the whole place out so we wouldn't have our pictures taken."

"Shoes?" They were approaching fast. Liam and Danielle would see them in a matter of moments.

"Oh right. This way." Liam led us the exact opposite direction I wanted to go. Right into the storm.