Chapter 32

{Song in video: Imagine Dragons - Believer}

The next morning I woke up to the doorbell ringing. "Ugh," I groaned, slowly getting up, having one of the worst headaches of my life and having some slight nausea.

As I walked to the living room, I noticed Jeff had answered the door. "Can I help you?" Jeff asked the person at the door.

I couldn't tell who was at the door yet, and I also couldn't really remember too much from last night.

"Is Anastasia home?" A male's voice asked.

"Yeah, why?"

"I need to give her a check." Whoever was at the door sounded annoyed.

"Stacey, some guy in a suit wants to give you a check!" Jeff exclaimed.

"Ow," I groaned since Jeff's voice made my headache even worse.

As I came to the door, my eyes widened, and I gasped as I saw Vince standing at my door. I couldn't even form the right words to come out of my mouth. What is he doing here?

"Here's your check," Vince muttered. Then, he glanced at Jeff and I. "Seems like you two had one heck of a night yesterday."

"It's not what it looks like. Chelsea and I went to the club, then we saw Jeff there coincidentally. He's just a longtime friend of ours," I said.

"Sure, he is. A longtime friend who has a little something on his neck, and stayed the night it looks like." He furrowed his eyebrows as he looked at Jeff.

I looked at Jeff's neck, and sure enough, he had a few hickies. It didn't look too bad, but it was noticeable enough.

I gasped, feeling my face flush with embarrassment. "I'm not sure where that came from, but it wasn't me. I don't remember doing that. Also, he stayed over on the couch because he was too drunk to drive home."

"Just please take your check."

"Okay." I took the check from him. Before I could say anything else, Vince turned around and walked away. "Thanks!" I exclaimed, wincing at myself at this whole situation.

Vince didn't say anything or looked back, he just continued to walk.

I closed the door, still wincing at myself. Why did he have to come today of all days to hand me my check?

"Is that the guy you cheated on?" He asked.

My eyes widened, and I gasped. "I didn't cheat on him!" I exclaimed. "Where did you hear that from?"

"A journal article. It was published this morning."

My mouth dropped open in shock. "Who would publish that? And how would they know?"

"Some company called Local To You." He shrugged. "I'm not sure how they would know though."

Instantly, I felt hurt and angry. "That's where my older sister works."

"Oh..." He looked at the floor awkwardly.

I didn't tell Liz about what happened between Vince and I yet, but I would expect her to not support or write about something like that, especially without checking the facts first.

I quickly went into my room, and got ready. Then, I walked into kitchen to eat an avocado toast.

"I'm sorry, I have to go. You can make yourself at home," I said to Jeff as I walked out of the door.

"Okay, see you later," Jeff said, waving as I was leaving.

I went outside, then texted Liz, asking where she was. When she texted back and said she was at her house, I hailed a taxi to go over there, even though I still had a headache.