Chapter 38

{Characters in picture: Sela Ward as Audrey Havens & Christopher Waltz as Andrew Havens}

{Song in video: OneRepublic ft. Seeb - Rich Love}

It was the day of Vince's family gathering, and I was feeling a little uneasy, but then again, they couldn't have been any worse than Rebecca.

Right after I ate lunch, I heard my cell phone buzzing. I looked at it, noticing it's my dad calling me. I sighed, preparing for another lecture. "Hello?" I said, picking up the phone.

"Hello, Anastasia," my dad said into the phone. "Why didn't you tell me you and Vince are back together?"

"Because when we broke up, you accused me of cheating on Vince, and saying I tarnished the family's name." I rolled my eyes. "You're lucky I even picked up the phone."

I heard my dad sigh on the other end of the phone. "I'm sorry about saying those things to you. I shouldn't have believed a rumor rather than my daughter telling me the truth."

"So why did you call me?"

"Because your mother and I were invited to Vince's family gathering this evening. I was hoping you would call us sometime within the past few weeks of us knowing, but I never got a call."

I sighed in frustration. "Do I have to explain myself again as to why I didn't call?"

There was a pause. "I get it. Well, I look forward to seeing you, Vince, and his parents."

"Me too." We hung up the phone.

I felt even more uneasy. I knew it wasn't Vince's fault because I didn't even mention to him what my dad had said when we were broken up because of the false rumor. I just didn't want my parents to say weird and uncomfortable things like they did when Vince had met them.

As I was walking in the living room, Chelsea unlocked the door to come into the apartment. "You okay, Stace?" She asked as she walked in. "You look a little down."

"I guess so, my dad just called," I said, shrugging. "Apparently Vince invited my parents too."

Chelsea's mouth dropped open. "Why would he do that?"

I shrugged. "I'm not sure. Maybe he wants his parents to meet mine?"

"Does he know what your dad said to you?"

I shook my head. "No, I haven't told him about any of that. We had a great few weeks since we got back together. I don't want to bring up anything negative."

"I'm sure it'll go very well. You and Vince are back together, and everything is going great. Even if things with his parents or your parents don't go well, the main thing is that you two have each other."

"Yeah, that's the main thing." I nodded. "So how was your second date with Sanjay?"

"It was great." She grinned. "He's such a sweet and shy guy, but also really smart."

"Different from the other guys you dated." I smiled.

"Definitely."

"Well, I'm going to get going to Vince's place. I'll see you later." I got my purse, then headed out the door.

"Bye!" Chelsea exclaimed, waving as I smiled, then shut the door.

I took a taxi to go to Vince's loft.

As I got out to go up to his loft, I felt even more and more nervous. I took a deep breath, sighed, then rang the doorbell.

A few seconds later, Vince opened the door, grinning. "Hey, Stacey. Come on in," he greeted me, giving me a quick peck on the lips.