Home

My sneaker-clad feet pad almost silently on the road leading up to my house, my hands shaking nervously as I  try and keep my emotions in check. I haven't been here in what seems like ages, my eyes taking in the front yard as well as the run-down roof of the place I grew up in.

I walk up the path that leads to the front door before stopping just shy of the entrance, listening to the unmistakable sound of my mother as she moves around inside. I don't want to just walk in, it as if I am a visitor as apposed to someone who actually lived there. My hand seems to hesitate before I knock, sweat starting to form on my forehead.

-Two hours earlier-

"I think we should just go talk to her mom."

"You know the rules" Yoongi says with a sigh, ruffling his already-messy hair. "We aren't supposed to go to any of the houses of the girls that we choose. That was one of the conditions, remember?"

I watch silently as The Seven continue to bicker back and forth, their voices getting louder and louder as they try and make themselves heard over the others. When Jimin's sister ran out of the room crying the three of us had rushed after her, not wanting her to say anything that could get me into trouble. Yeah, I know I hurt her, but I did it for a reason.

I don't regret it at all, my hand still tingling from where I touched her. I can still feel the power as it coursed through me, the feeling still having not faded away even after she had gone. I had been so scared in that moment when she was walking towards me, my heart practically beating out of my chest. Jimin stepping in front of me had made me realize just how much he has been trying to change if he would willingly sacrifice himself for me. I couldn't let her touch him, which is why I reacted the way that I did.

I can still remember the way my body had relaxed, my mind clearing as soon as I had realized what it was that I had to do. I could feel the steady beating of my heart, hear the cracking bones as I had held on to her wrist. This was only the second time that I have been able to use my powers, but it had felt so natural to me. I was protecting something with a clear mission in mind, my body unrestricted in a sense.

"We should let her go to her mom then" Hoseok suggests, bringing me back to reality. He cowers a little bit when everyone starts yelling at him, his hands raised as he tries to calm them down. "She will come back of course. We really just need to find out what she is before Jimin's sister tells their dad, because I know for a fact that he will tell Tae's."

The room suddenly goes silent as everyone lets the news sink in, it as if they are trying to decide if his idea is a good one or a stupid one. I know why they are being so careful. They don't want me to run away. Even though I am slowly starting to get more comfortable around them, they are still holding me here against my will. They want to make sure that I come back after asking my mom about what I am, them not willing to let me go just yet. 

"Ok." I look up at Namjoon as he holds onto his chin as he thinks, his eyebrows creased in concentration. "But on one condition."

He looks at me with such a piercing stare that it makes me freeze in my spot, all of my limbs growing still as he seemingly locks me in place. 

"Jungkook will be outside of your house listening in the whole time. You will go in, ask your mom some questions, get answers, and then leave. If he gets so much as a feeling that you won't come back out he will call Taehyung to come get you......and you wouldn't want that to happen."

-present time-

"(Y/N)........is it really you?"

My mom's eyes are wide as she holds onto the door, her hand falling to her side as she gazes up at me in amazement. I can feel my eyes begin to water as I step forward and into her waiting embrace, sinking into her warmth as she hug me to her body. We are both crying now, not even caring that the door is open and anyone could see us like this. I didn't think that I was ever going to see her again, my heart swelling in my chest as we break apart to walk further in the house.

"I can't believe you're back! Did you win then? Is the choosing over?"

"No mom" I say sadly, shaking my head as we head into the kitchen. I can't help but flinch as the memory of my nightmare fills my head, my eyes blinking rapidly as I try and dispel the images. I can't though. I can still see my mom's dead body as it sits in the chair that is currently in front of the pantry, my hands shaking as I recall her blood staining my fingers. 

I'm brought back by the sound of her shuddering sigh, the grotesque images leaving my mind to be replaced by my mother alive and well as she stands in front of me. We both sit down and she reaches across the table to grab onto my hand, her own shaking as she peers at me sadly.

"Why are you here, love? I've missed you so much and it is great to see you again, but since you said the choosing isn't over they must have sent you here for something."

"I'm different mom" I say quietly, looking down at the table below me and not into her eyes.

"I can do things that the other girls can't, which is why they sent me here; to get answers."

"I don't know what you're talking about" she says as the small smile that was on her face disappears, her hand leaving mine as she stands up from her chair. My eye widen as I watch her walk away from me, standing up myself as I follow behind her.

"That's not true and you know it. You've got to tell me what I am" I say as she pretends to be busy with something. I groan when all she does is ignore me, turning the water on in the sink as she begins to wash the dishes.

"I honestly don't know what you are talking about" she says without looking at me, her mouth in a straight line as she focuses on the task at hand. "I'm not sure what you meant by saying that you can do things that the others can't, and I wish I could help you, but I can't."

"Mom" I pause, trying to stop myself from crying at this point. I've come to terms with the fact that they don't want me to leave so that they can figure out who I am. I also understand that they won't hurt me. I am no longer apart of the choosing. I am there because I am not human. I am obviously different from everybody else, and the only place for me now is somewhere with magical beings that are somewhat similar to myself. I have to know.

"Please" I whisper quietly, my voice wavering slightly. My mom's shoulders tense a little bit before they relax, a tired sigh leaving her lips as she turns to face me once more. Her mouth is in a slight frown as she looks me over, sadness filling her eyes.

"I promised your father that I wouldn't tell you what you were......but if you really want to know, then I guess I have no choice."