chapter 8

Chapter 8

Ana's Pov

I found Ulrick's behavior unusual. He was burning like a sun ball when I entered Dad's room. But it felt bizarre that Dad appeared relaxed and happy. The ambiance of the room was screaming that there was something I needed to know. I wanted to reprimand my answers but I did not want to discuss anything with Ulrick in front of Dad as it may only aggravate his condition.

Dad felt lively and had a hearty chit-chat with me after I went to his room with the food. He relished the dishes and finished everything that I brought for him unlike the earlier times when he was sulking to eat even a spoonful of rice.

But consequently as our conversation progressed,  he was being queer in his talks. He counseled me that I need to take care of Mom and convince my brother to excuse him on his behalf. Though initially I felt happy that he was recovering the way our talk progressed, I was getting very paranoid. I looked at Ulrick with questioning eyes but he was giving away nothing by his impassive looks.

Ulrick could be very passionate and the very next moment act like a machine with no emotions. It sometimes irritated me and at other times got me nervous.

My senses were indicating that something miserable was going to happen in a short time but I pushed away the wretched thought. Chanting positive words that the best doctors in the city are taking care of Dad and he will soon return home hale and hearty, I kiss his cheeks. In return he gives me a smile of assurance squeezing my hand. I felt very happy at that moment. Dad is always with a positive thought and a healthy body resides with a healthy mind. He was promising me with his twinkled eyes that everything would go on in the best way but my happiness was only short-lived. Soon he passed away leaving me shattered.

I held Ulrick and cried unstoppable. But on the contrary he was emotionless. He dropped me in the house and immediately left but before that, he kissed my head and looked into my eyes for a second. His features were mysterious. It felt like he wanted to confess to me something. But nothing came out. Like always his patent phrase was back. "Take care doll".

They were the words that he always uttered before going out since my childhood but this time I felt a premonition of a dangerous shadow lurking around us. I don't want death hazards absorbing another member of my family. "Ulrick" I mumble resting my hand on his hairy cheek indulging him to stop going wherever he is ardained to.

"Don't cry." He insinuates wiping my tears away. "I will come back soon." Encircling my arms around his broad shoulders I let my body suck in the tranquilizing warmth of his muscled chest for one last time and kissed his cheeks standing on my tippy toes. He stilled for a moment with my unexpected action and walked to his car without turning back.

I wished if he had his eyes once more on me I could have stopped him. Probably he knew of the same which is why he walked away without turning back.

My heart broke. Hiding my face from him under the shadow of my curls I rushed straight to my bedroom and cried endless on my bed. I do not know why all this is happening in my life. I feel very distressed. I lost my dad, my mother is in a coma and my brother left our home. With all the disastrous incidences taking place one after another, I find my tears invincible.

After a long time, I hear a knock at the door. I did not bother to address the incomer as I was dwelling in my own sorrow. Aunt Gabriella came in and brought me to a tender hug moving her hand on my back in a soothing way. Her motherly love brought an outburst of tears that I had indulged to stop after a lot of effort. I cried obstreperously letting out all my emotions. She allowed me to cry and pour my heart out whispering sweet nothings into my ear.

When I was in a pool of misery and in her embrace I saw Alex's uncle coming in through my tear-stricken eyes. He sat on the other side and  ran his hand lovingly on my head. "Why am I experiencing all sorts of sadness at the same time, uncle Alex?" I ask him unable to withhold my pain.

He gently rubbed my arms in consolation and whispered "From today onwards you will call me dad. I raised my head to look into him in question and he looked at me full of endearment nodding his head. Aunt Gabriella joined us and hugged me from the other side. After a lot of pursuation and the parental counseling from them I recovered a little and ate my dinner that night.