Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Ana's Pov

I fell asleep on his lap. Ulrick carried and laid me on the bed. The moment my body missed his warmth I was back to my sorrowful present. But he knew me more than I could imagine. Though I was fretting about the incogitable course of events, his soothing touches eased my soul and I wafted off to repose once again on the bed.

He would occasionally run his hands on my long black hair and look at me pining in dalliance. "Ulrick" I rustle his name ravenous running a hand on his hairy chest in languish. "This was the best night I had." I assert looking at him in crucifixion. He doesn't speak but smiles at me and nibbles my cheek with seeping tenderness.

Our legs were locked together with the occasional moonlight trickling through the window curtains. One of his hands was around my waist and the other pillowing my head. We were cuddled to each other and I was held firmly in his screening arm. He looks down at me in concupiscence and runs his thumb on the contours of my lips. I shiver in an urge of licentious craving and meet his eyes. "Doll, I love you so much." He announces and rains kisses on my lips and cheeks holding me to his rocky chest. My eyes dilate affected by his unbound affection and I run my fingers on his stubble jaw. Appreciating the masculinity of his outlined features, I close my eyes in tranquillity inhaling the sweet sandalwood scent of his strapping body.

************

The peeping sunrays from the broad glass windows pulled me out of my dream world. Putting a hand to prevent the sunlight from blocking my eyes, I look at the empty bed beside me. There was an unknown fear that encapsulated me by staring at the vacant place next to me. My inner voice never betrayed me so far. It was giving me warning signals that something wrong was going to happen. I shiver at the threatening roar overpowering within me that I could very well recognize. It was the same cry that alarmed me earlier about Dad's death and the day when I came to know about Ulrick's underworld connections.

I stab the presaging tone that yelled for my attention and reach the washroom to do my daily chores. Ulrick already prepared the breakfast by the time I reached the kitchen. Our tiny tot was in his arms busy playing with his tie. "Good Morning mama," he cheers like a kid and steals a kiss on my lips.

After we had our breakfast, I breastfed my child. Ulrick was leaning to the door frame with his legs crossed and folded hands observing me. When I look at him, he smiles with an intensity of passion. Taking forward a single big step he pulls me to his chest cautious not to disturb our feeding baby in the process.

"Doll, just stay back," he kisses me and reaches for my hand with his eyes shimmering in expectancy. I hug him in an assurance. "Ulrick I promise I will be getting back to you at the earliest." My charging foresay kept urging me to go by a chopper to Perth but my husband was adamant about taking a car. He wanted to spend as much time with me and our kid as possible. Having no room to argue we pull onto the highway.

Ulrick parked his car in a gas station when four robbers circled me completely armed. My feet trembled in fear to protect our baby nestled to my chest. "Stay away." I shouted. One of them had a villanious grin and held my arm. I tried to free myself but his hold was strong. When I thought I was going to give up, my husband takes into action.

Bullets were out in the air like a downpour. I stand motionless in shock unable to absorb the unexpected scene taking place in front of me. Everything felt like a dreadful dream. After a few minutes, Ulruck strolls to me and cuddles me in his arms. It is the place I call my home, my serenity but unfortunately, my happiness was only short-lived.

I noticed his eyes were getting fuzzy and one of his upper arms bleeding. "Ulrick" I look at his arm in shock. My pensiveness escalated when I saw his eyes closing off. But despite his discomfort, he takes our crying baby from me to his lap and rocks her slightly with words of consolation while I drive him to the nearest hospital in haste.

Slowly his speech started faltering bringing in me more stress. I knew it was getting difficult for him to keep his eyes open for the blood loss he had already suffered. The positivity in my mind shouted he was a fighter and he will live but my conscience lashed out, there was something terrible going to happen. As soon as I reached the hospital, he was ushered to the operating theatre. With shivering hands, I take out the phone from my purse and dial my in-laws

Two days later...

I left the charge of our infant to my parents-in-law and stayed with Ulrick in his room. Living a life without him was impossible. I hardly find sleep with the fear of losing him and as long as I am awake I pray for his life.

He was supposed to breath not only for me but for the millions of employees all around the world who take shelter under his roof. Every time I gaze at his sleeping form I expect them to open and look at me. But it seems like God wants to test me more. "Ulrick you have to fight for your life... for me and our little princess. She needs the care and love of her father." I speak like an order but go weak in the end landing to a whimper.

There was a knock at the door and the doctor walked in. He examined his pulse, checked his blood pressure and gave me the good news of his recovery. It was the news for which I have been on a wait for a long time. My joy knew no bounds. I was crying and laughing at the same time.

I took a bath in the washroom adjoining his room and came out wiping my face with a towel when I observed the flicking of his fingers. A small laugh detonated jewelling my face as I reached him with a longing.

"Ulrick" my voice comes out in a soft sob filled with happy tears. My hands reach for his long frail fingers. He opens his eyes slowly and a warm smile ignites on his charming features. Holding my hand he states in a feeble voice "Doll, I am alright. Relax." And stretches his arms to gather me in a hug. I cry drying my tears on his shirt in happiness and hold him tightly. He snivels. "Don't hold me so firm baby, I am still healing." He rubs his wound covered with a plaster in a forced laugh to lighten my anxiousness and peck my lips.

"I am sorry, give me a moment." I kiss his cheek and run to call the doctor.