Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Ana's pov

I had been married to Ulrick for almost three years now but never been to his office and today I am going there in the weirdest circumstances. A feeling of fear that something terrible going to happen is overpowering my emotions. My car stopped in front of a stylish-looking skyscraper. George might have made around 100 calls to Ulrick before I reached the premises of this building. I don't understand why he is so tense. The other side of my heart senses something dubious like - a mystery unimaginable going to unfold. Otherwise George wouldn't have made so many phone calls to Ulrick.

The building probably had more than forty floors. Over the top of the building proudly stood the words 'The Hazelwood group' in flickering red and green lights. The superstructure looked distinguished and top class. Nevertheless my husband's wealth and power were helping me little in the dithery state that I was in. How is he? Is he okay? The same words begin to replicate all over my mind.

My worries became tenfold as I entered the premises of the grandeur building. The opulent walls stare at me feral and scream danger. Run away from here, Ana. They were yelling at me in admonition. My feet almost turned back but I held my heart. You can do this Ana, if not for you it's for the sake of your husband - for the man who did so much for you to make your life beautiful. Clasping my hands tight to one another I took cautious, trembling steps inside the high-rise superstructure.

The tower had a mark of its own in everything including the costly furnishings. The elegantly designed chandelier stood proud hanging at the ceiling. On the affluently extended walls were propertied portraits of Pablo Picasso, Leonardo Da Vinci, and many others. The very beautiful crystal flower vases here and there screamed power, richness, and class but I was in no mood to appreciate this beauty.

I rushed to the elevator and immediately pressed the 38th floor where Ulrick's office was situated. The flickering neon lights on numbers did not ease me in any way. As soon as I entered the floor, I could hear screams of a man from his office and my heart began to beat at an ushering speed. The security behind tried to stop me but I turned a deaf ear to his requests and pulled my hand from his iron grip in formidable force.

I softly opened the door of his room trying not to get noticed. There were four men in black suits and all four of them were covering the view of a certain person. He was repeatedly stabbing a guy between his legs. I was horrified by what I saw but tried to station at the same place to look at the iniquitous person drawing my revulsion. Come what may today I am going to save my husband even if it costs my life - Oh God please, just one look at the victim, let him not be my husband.

My waiting eyes went wide to what I saw next. The nefarious mortal took a pointed tool from his pocket and stabbed it into the eye of the sufferer. My legs moved forward in an instinct but a hand holding me behind stopped me. I looked back and saw George shaking his head at me in a forewarning. My intuition could foresee that the sufferer wasn't my husband otherwise George wouldn't have kept his hands folded.

It gave me placidity. Looking towards the sky I made a silent thankful prayer to God that the prey wasn't Ulrick. However the humanity in me did not die. I could feel the pain of the mortal.

The injured roared in pain but it didn't surfeit the eyes of the reprobate. How can he be so incorrigible? My eyes were not able to restrain tears. I went to silent sobs but couldn't close my eyes to the cataclysmic heinous crime. I am certainly going to report to the police about this.

The victim was crying for a release but the attacker had no mercy. He was evil, bad news to the nation and a devil who had no heart. I forced a hand on my mouth to arrest the snivel coming out of my lips. There was more of a blow on his stomach and the injured movements stopped. His face was covered with blood and his head hung down with eyes closed. There was an ill feeling which started to develop in the pit of my stomach. I suddenly felt the urge to puke. "Is he dead?" I tried to ask myself. The bruised fell on the floor unconscious.

After a moment the barbarous attacker took the glistering black instrument out of his pocket and there was a thunderous sound. My system stopped functioning. It felt like every iota of this universe went to a standstill. I wasn't able to move. My legs began to shiver as I became numb through every part of my body. I just witnessed a cold-blooded murder. Realizing this, my heart began its thunderous roar as though it wanted to get out of its ribcage.

His white shirt had blood marks all over it. The men surrounding the fierce man cleared and then everything halted. What I saw gave me a shock of life. My world stopped. My face drained out of blood. I tried to scream but my voice would not come out. I tried to move my legs but they couldn't cooperate. I was motionless staring at the image in front of me, unable to believe my own eyes. "Ulrick" - a soft gasp left out of me.

My husband just did the most unexpected thing of my life. He is a murderer, a criminal, the most heartless inhuman, and evil to society.

One of the 'men in black' took the revolver out of his hands for him to clean his hands in the wash basin. A person stood beside him with a napkin and another stood at his back and pulled out the blood-stained shirt from behind replacing it with a clean white neatly pressed shirt. My husband slipped his hands into the sleeves of the fresh shirt while the man behind was still holding it and the other two of the men were dragging the corpse to a wall. Ulrick pressed a button on the remote and immediately the wall opened leading to a flight of stairs. The men disappeared down the stairs and the wall was closed.

The dreaded incident I just experienced brought my whole existence to shake. I understood the deadliest truth of my life that it was based on a horrific lie. The beautiful family, a happy marriage with the Venus of dreams reduces to a vicious truth of tying the knot with the perilous murderer in a matter of seconds. My world goes topsy-turvy with the beat of my heart. Many questions were flocking in my mind. First of all, was I still going to live with a heinous killer and still be called his wife? The answer came out immediately. Negative. But will he allow me to live if I break my ties with him?

I was in a volcano of emotions, a love-sick fool who just happened to be the world's stupidest person to marry an underworld criminal. How big an idiot I am? I wanted to slap myself endlessly. I did the witless thing of marrying without knowing him. His interviews, his hot looks and his popularity meant nothing to me now. I vapidly offered my life on a silver plate so that he could break into pieces.

After what I saw, I dictated to myself that I should never let myself speak about what I saw with my husband but will I be able to act normal when I saw every part of his horrendous evil? How am I going to face him tomorrow? Will he kill me if he comes to know the truth? Of course, claiming a life was not a difficult thing for him and that was clear to me as a day after what I saw a few moments back. I should never let him know the truth.

I dread how many murders he would have done to date under the cover of a reputed and reverential businessman. If he comes to know the reality he will make my life a torture. He is a dangerous man and can do anything to retain his fame. I made my mind strong and determined myself of my decision. When I was out, I leaped back at the magnificent building standing in front of me. It had a beautiful exterior but a ferocious heart that had dark secrets hidden inside. I made quick steps to the car parked outside.

You were right, you cautioned me before I entered this atrocious place but...... I saw it all. I look at the building and sigh as though I was speaking to it.

"George, get me home, and don't tell Ulrick about anything. Everything is going to be alright." I gave him a reassuring smile and could feel him relaxing returning my twinkle.

Little did he know I was a master in hiding the truths and fooled everyone since I was a child.