Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Ulrick Pov

It is 12'0 o'clock at night. I am riding my car like a desolate around every street in Miami trying to trace her. My heart aches in pain of losing her? Why did she leave for the hospital when she told me she was going to Stella's house? Unfortunately Stella had no information about Ana and it brought me to the end of the last hope I had.

However I find the girl's language rather enciphered. She accompanied Ana to the hospital yet has no idea on where she went. With various scenarios crossing my mind, I dial my detective Sam.

He picked up my call on the tenth ring. Hell had he not connected it, I would have fired him the next moment. I fill my staff's pockets generously and I expect equally efficient work from them. For the present Sam saved his job because within two hours I came to know Ana is out of the city.

Ana please come back. I cannot breathe without you.

My mind begins to go insane with uncanny thoughts. Is she kidnapped or suffering from a deadly disease? She had rashes all over her body and when I touched her she scampered away from me. "Fuck Ana! I prefer to die with you than live alone in this world."

I called the hospital she went several times but the reception didn't have any appointment registered under the name 'Anastasia Hazelwood'. Getting no clue on where she went I scream in frustration gripping my hair.

I was never a social person and was very reserved, I never expressed my feelings to anybody. The 'love for Ana' was the only emotion that kept me stable all my life and now when she is gone, my heart is left to bits. And it becomes once again lonely. Ana, please don't give me this big a punishment. My soul shrieks in derangement.

I reach my house demented. My suit was gone, my tie was unfixed hanging loose around my neck, the first few buttons of my white dress shirt were undone and my hair was disheveled as though I had just woken up from sleep. I reach the bed like a zombie and smell her scent everywhere on the bed. My heart cramps and I yell at the top of my lungs to find myself running away from the bedroom.

After a few seconds, I reach the foyer of the house and hear the jingling of her bangles all over. I wobble around the mansion like a moron to get a glimpse of her but find her nowhere. Life without her is like a rope tied to my neck. Please come back, Ana. I yelp in isolation.

Days roll to weeks and weeks to months and then months to more than a year. I searched for her in every nook and corner of United States. I know she cannot run away outside the country without hassles from security and identity. My senses drive me crazy like a psycho. I feel incomplete without her. You are my life, Ana. The fragrance of your body is still alive in my breath. I lived in darkness all through my life but you acquainted light in my life. I need you. I cry out endlessly for days together.

My house is in a mess. I don't allow my servants inside as I heard one of them call my wife a whore and that she left me for the sake of another man. The dangerous statement echoed in my heart again and again and I became an alcoholic within a few months that Ana left me. I drink like a cow and smoke everything which I get in hand. I started doing drugs but nothing seems to sate me. And at the end of the day, I return home again smelling her everywhere.

My life became meaningless. I do not have any control over my mind and I fire my employees for simple issues. No doubt I have been called names at my back for a ruthless, heartless, and senseless boss. But I don't care. I am living in this world just because God has yet not decided to award me death. On a day I was caught by my security handling a bottle of sleeping pills through the inbuilt cameras in the house. He immediately took away the pills from my hands in spite of my insistence and called my parents.

My mother ended up in depression hearing the news and forced a promise from me that I would never again get suicidal. Since then like a small boy I have been living with my parents. My dad has been taking care of our businesses and is assisted by my brother. My mom keeps her tabs on me like I am a two-year-old infant and feeds me like I am a child. I still do not have any clue about Ana. I am left destroyed by every ounce of my existence.

After repeated persuasion by my parents, I am out today to my office after almost nine months of seclusion. I place myself on the black leather chair which I used to worship like a God at a particular period of time and look around. After a few minutes, I ease myself on it and did not know when sleep took over me.

I open my eyes and they casually fell on the table before me where there was an invitation from Perth Institution of Business Management.

I bring the envelope closer and there was a thump my heart. Looking at the familiar and perfectly crafted letters on the pure white envelope, my stance goes on a haywire. I begin to read the contents when I hear my office intercom beep. My secretary asks my permission to connect the call to the event organizer of Perth Institution of Business Management.

I had been a philanthropist since the time I took over our family business. My company donates money to the academics of poor and intelligent students. I have been a part of many fundraising charity events to uplift the downtrodden, handicapped, and  child education which is a matter of concern in the American economy.

My heart beat could be heard to my ears. Anticipation warred with my senses. I connect the receiver and hear the melodious voice which occupied my every dream since last nine months. I was dumbfounded. Is this a reality or just another dream? But I compose myself when I hear the name and kept my curious thoughts away which still bring shrills down my body. "Good Morning Mr Hazelwood, I am Mrs Samara Marve speaking to you from Perth Institute of Business Management. Our institution will be privileged to have your presence as our chief guest on the charity and fundraising event 'Light in Darkness' organized...." I did not allow her to complete. The voice brought a sort of uneasiness in my nub. I let her know I would be attending the function and cut the call abruptly.

That was a very narrow escape. Can two people be so similar to each other with no bond or family connection? First it was the beautifully written cursive letters and then that voice which still brings waves of unsaid excitement in me. I pace the room pulling my hands into fists. 'That couldn't be her.' I let out a frustrated sigh but my heart doesn't seem to accept. I went to the bar adjacent to my office and poured a glass of scotch to ease my senses.

"That cannot be her." I grip my hair tightly and scream at the top of my lungs to establish the fact within me. Yet there was still a small whisper in me that said I could be fallacious.