Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Ana's Pov

The function went on quite well. I was dressed in a Red gown and a matching cream-coloured cardigan with Zardosi work giving my attire an poised appeal. Ulrick was putting on a black tuxedo suit which could be called - 'dressed to elegance'. The way he talked with people and shook hands reflected a character of confidence, power, and dominance giving him a signature appeal. I was secretly admiring his awesome looks and congratulating myself for marrying an incarnation of a sex God.

Many business delegates attended the function and applauded him for his grand success. My hubby looks at me standing besides and smiles putting a hand around my waist. He pulls me towards him and introduced me to his envoys. My parents-in-law also attended the function and their presence got me a bit anxious but they were very happy to see me which ruled away all my distressing thoughts. Aunt Gabriella was almost in tears. She brought me into a warm hug running a hand on my back. Alex Uncle patted my head affably in a parental love.

I couldn't hold my tears, hugged the both of them and dropped to tears like a baby. The charade couldn't be pulled by me anymore. I told them everything from the beginning including the reason why I left Ulrick. They understood me with neutrality unlike being the typical parents in law and accepted me with a genial heart.

Aunt Gabriella became overjoyed when she learned about Ulia. Alex's Uncle was over the moon and hugged me with delight. They wanted to come along with us to Miami to meet Ulia but Alex had an urgent business meeting on Tuesday. Thus they planned to visit us next week. The thought of their presence at Miami scared me like shit. I hadn't made up my mind to join back Ulrick. I still had many doubts about our future. However, I decided not to discuss them until I arrived at a conclusion.

By the time we reached Miami, it was very late. Ulia felt very tired and slept all through the journey. It was almost fifteen months since I stepped into my house. The thought rather got me perturbed. Ulrick walked ahead of me while carrying the baby and unlocked the house.

My eyes went around the whole cosmopolitan mansion which was once upon a time called my domicile. Everything was the same, in the place I put them including decorative items, furniture and paintings. He did not change anything except for the big pictures of us adorning the long walls.

While I was still in the reverie with the photos staring at me in ditherance I heard him from behind. "I wanted to feel you beside me every moment I live in this house and so I filled every wall and corner with you. It brings me peace, a kind of consolation that you're still breathing with me here in this house."

He halts and peers at me with fear, the fear of losing me again, the kind of fear I had never seen before in him and it felt like it was my defeat more than his. His vulnerability was like a slap straight on my face. I couldn't withstand his grief, I broke up and went forward for a hug. He was my medicine as well as my misery. He did not speak to me anything but I could understand every iota of his pain. His eyes were enough to pour it all and the world shattered around me filling my kernel with guilt.

The next what I knew was he had enveloped me in his arms so tightly like I was water who was going to slip away. I knew it was all his pent up anxiety of losing me again. His hold on me was so dense that after sometime it suffocated me. I couldn't breathe and then I excused myself to pee.

No sooner I got into the bedroom the sight in front got me nonplussed. There were empty liquor bottles and cigarette cartons littering the whole room. I was shocked, wordless and shattered. All the feelings at the same time and the sensation was so torturous like someone was chocking me to death.

And then I could hear footsteps behind me. Ulrick gazed at me with an apologetic look. I felt my nub crumble to bits and I did not understand whether it was his apology or mine that my ears heard. A voice kept repeating in my head like a mantra 'blunder. You did a blunder by vamoosing your husband. You are a selfish woman." Slowly the voice became so loud that it perforated in all my nerves like poison.

"I am sorry Doll but I had to keep myself alive for you." I heard him say and I involuntarily screamed out "no" in my frenzied state.

He paused for a while taken aback and looked at me startled. "No. It is not your fault. I made a blunder. Kill me. I am the culprit here." I took his hand and began to slap myself uncontrollably.

"Ana, what are you doing? Stop it. You are acting hysterical. I have passed through worse and the only way to keep myself go on through this rough phase was this." He pointed at the Highland Park scotch bottle lying on one of the side tables near the headboard. "If you want to see me happy and you're really sorry for what you have done, then stay back with me and promise me we will not bring this conversation again." He gives me a sad smile and leers at me admirably.

I was traumatized to the threshold and stared at him with surpassing distress. What was he doing to his health? For the protection of my daughter was I unknowingly risking the life of my husband? The awakening thought brought a turbulence within me.

I lay on the bed with a paroxysm. Though I was very tired, sleep was far beyond to overtake my shagging mind. I stir around the bed for two hours not to find any sleep and so I get down the stairs to the study where Ulrick was working. I knock on the half-closed door to hear his husky voice "Come inside Doll..."

I go and sit in his lap which was our usual style. He was dressed in grey sweatpants and a black T-Shirt. The slight stubble on his face accentuated a rugged appearance which looked majestic in a different way. He nibbles the cigarette into the ashtray and pecks my cheeks adjusting me in his lap. I put my head on his slightly exposed hairy chest and inhaled his masculine scent. Within seconds my body goes to a peaceful rest and my eyelids drop. Just before falling into a deep slumber, I heard him say "Stay back Doll.....with me forever" and I was lifted into his strong arms to a comfortable comfy mattress within a few moments.

In the wee hours of next morning, sleep deprived me again and my heart was back to shackled pieces. On one side was my daughter who grew like a part of my body for months and on the other side was my husband who is my heart and soul. Both of them cannot have a life without me. The 'mother' inside me entreats to save my daughter and the 'duty of a wife' binds me to care for my husband.

I fall on my knees and cry in prayer,  please help me find a way to protect my husband and daughter.