Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Ana's pov

Just like every year our college is organizing a charity event 'Light in Darkness' where the college provides scholarships for economically weak and physically handicapped students. For this year I am assigned the responsibility as the event manager of the said function. We invite patrons, and celebrities from all over the country who could help us with the donation.

My principal called me to her office and gave me the names of the people who were to be invited. There was a unique card attached especially for the chief guest of the function. I sat in one of the chairs of the staff room preparing to invite the various dignitaries. Beforehand I go through the names and my eyes get instantaneously stationed to look at a familiar epithet as the chief guest of the function.

I start sweating profusely as the thought of speaking to him arises in my mind but I try to pacify myself with the veracity of my changed identity. The receptionist picks up the call in the second ring and puts me on hold to get permission from him to speak. As the intercom started its music I was carried away with my thoughts. I know he does a lot of charity but never thought that a determining day would arise in my life when I would myself be inviting him as my chief guest. The feeling brought in me thrill as well as anxiety. It is a unique feeling that I can't describe in words.

Within a few minutes, a deep voice was heard on the phone and immediately goosebumps on my skin. It was nothing new. He had that effect on me since the time I first met him after attaining my puberty. I calmed my wrecking nerves and began with the introduction of myself so that there were no expectations built.

He answers me in an affirmative even before I completed giving him the whole information. Thank heavens! The task was over before time. He did not recognize me. I  breathed an air of release after I finished speaking. He showed no signs of recognition and brought me happiness as well as sorrow at the same time. I was happy because my cover worked good and sad because despite after knowing me too good he did not recognize my voice.

When I think of the weighty day adrenaline pumped up to my throat increasing my anxiety. Subsequently I sketch a plan to escape him once again. Jesus, how many times are you going to test my control?

Two days later.....

It was raining heavily. Ulia was never a cranky child but unusually she wouldn't stop crying today. She was cribbing since the time she got up from the bed. Vance was getting ready to leave for the hospital for his night duty. Today he is the duty doctor in the cardiac department. Night duties are freely assigned to him as the other doctors prefer to work morning shifts. Vance opts to work in the night to take care of Ulia while I am at work.

As I was trying to put my testy child to sleep when I heard a knock at the door. I wonder who was knocking at this late hour especially when there is a downpour outside. As I open the door I enter the shock of life. He was in his sleek black suit with a light green shirt underneath. His tie was gone and his hair was dishevelled making him dangerously sexy.

"Ulrick" My words unknowingly come out in a whisper. He gives me a weak smile standing at the entrance. My eyes examine his sharp optics scrolling down to his pointed nose and then moving to his soft lips laying stationed there for a while. A soft quiver escapes his throat as hands tighten around my waist meeting my eyes with flare. "Don't. Not now." He shakes his head and looks down at me in a blaze with his hands still settled on my waist. My orbs work down at his chiseled jawline that had slight stubble which marked his perfect features, staining him as gorgeously handsome.

I stare at him for I don't know how long but a smile takes its place eventually on my face. I feel the time has stopped and happy tears were running out freely from my cheeks after more than a year of famine. He moves his hand forward and starts to wipe my tears. No words were spoken and neither were they required. It was the cherishing moment with a tranquilizing silence.

What happened to my resolution of staying away from him? My body worked on its own accord the moment my eyes take a glimpse of him. I move aside making a place for him to come inside. He takes two steps into the house and hugs me tight closing the door behind him. The serenity long desired was back as I lay my head in the crook of my husband's neck inhaling his pure male quelling scent. He bends his head down and kisses my cheek. With the caress of his lips on my skin my eyes close placidly inhaling a deep breath and the familiar feel of protective arms shields my body to stillness.

He looks around and I find his eyes lying stationed on something. I wonder what was catching his attention and look behind. There was a shirt lying on the comforter. Before I could answer his questioning look my brother came out of the bedroom fully dressed and my husband's tensed eyes relaxed.