2. A Fairly Good Start-Up Fair (Deeksha)

It took me a minute to realize that the guard had been talking to the lady behind me, who had a pass for a similar fair but on a different date. Calming my slightly anxious self, I had been walking around for about ten minutes in the convention centre, when someone in a "Start Up Fair" t-shirt came up to me, asking me to sign up for a lucky draw called 'Bonanza Lucky Draw'. Though not really interested, "What's the worst that could happen?" I asked myself as I filled in my details. "This draw happens every hour, Ma'am", the volunteer said, "The first one is at ten-thirty today." Thanking him, I continued walking towards another row of stalls.

Inconspicuously checking my watch, I saw that I had a good fifteen minutes before the "draw". Not that I expected anything; I was simply looking to kill time before Harsh came back. Going through a stall with cartoon posters, I was quite impressed. This start-up made customized comics based on a variety of choices for their clients. Sure, not the most money-making forte... But the folks seemed happy doing it, so I was happy for them too.

Soon, the din for the lucky draw began and there was a crowd gathering. Not the biggest fan of suffocation, I lingered towards the back - close enough to hear the results and see everything, but not in the crowd. Out of nowhere, I missed having my best friend from college with me but I was quick to dismiss that thought. While the audience waited, out of the incessant curiosity of my nearly twenty-two-year-old brain, I peeked at my ticket. Number eighty nine, it said.

"And the winner of the first lucky draw of the day, wins a voucher for Rs 500 from our beverage partner," the announcer was saying. "Well, so much for the voucher," I thought. But the mention of the beverage partner made me remember that I didn't grab any breakfast today and I cringed, on hearing the animalistic grumble of my stomach. On stage, as the organizer ceremoniously pulled out a chit from the bowl kept on the stage, a passer-by bumped into my left shoulder, causing me to stumble. In the process of regaining my footing and the courteous apology of that random person, I had missed the declaration of the winner and could only hear the cheering of the audience.

I was about to walk away, when I realized that the cheering and noise had died down. Looking at the stage, I saw that the announcer looked awkward - embarrassed even. Unsure of what was happening, I decided to stay put and watch the rest of the spectacle, when the announcer spoke again, "We invite the recipient of the prize - Token number Eighty-Nine - to come and claim the prize." That, took a minute to register and when it did, I didn't realize I had said out loud "Oh - That's me!"

And that, is how I landed up with a hot-chocolate in my right hand, scrolling through my phone in the other. That I had a muffin in my handbag intended to be split with Harsh later, is out of the question. But I did - which is why I could swear the whole row of shops could smell it. Pretending not to care, I was about to enter a shop, when Ma's call stopped me in my tracks.

"Hello Mrs Rohini Bhalla!" I said cheerfully, "To what do I owe the pleasure?" When Ma asked me, "Dee - what time are you and Harsh likely to be home today?", I had to explain the whole 'Harsh hasn't told me how long this will really be' situation, Ma laughed and said, "Okay Dots - I'm making Ramu make lunch for you people anyway." Cringing at the nickname I had long hoped the world would forget, and by the world, I mean my family, I faked a laugh and said "Okay Ma. I'll see you later. Bye!", emphasizing on the last word.

I had just turned around saying "Bye" when unknowingly, I bumped into something and thought 'Where did this wall come from?' Quickly thought, I straightened myself and realized that it was a someone and I, had sent half the contents of my nearly cold hot-chocolate onto a crisp white shirt. "Oh my goodness! I'm so so sorry", I said instinctively reaching into my bad to grab a wet-tissue that I save for emergencies like these. I continued rambling until I got hold of it, saying "I wasn't looking. I should have been more careful.. Here, we get you cleaned up."

It was only when I held the tissue out to him that I noticed the man standing in front of me.